Where has the world gone?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nlivo, Apr 12, 2008.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I am 16 years of age. I am a happy kid and I love my mates. I have always been passionate about what I believe in. I love having a good time and going to parties. I drink a reasonable amount from time to time (no where near as much as others). I have never/will never smoke in my life (tobacco). That might not sound so bad seeing as I am 16 but you wouldn't believe how many of my mates smoke (all basically). Anyway.......I went to a party last night, had some drinks (enough to still know what I was doing) and just talking to some mates, having a bit of fun. I was having a conversation with some guy and another person, we were talking about something and I said "I have nothing against gay people, they're just normal people." Bang, get punched right in the face for saying something like that. The guy I was talking to just snapped me one. Next thing I remember is spitting up blood in the bathroom. One of my mates said he was talking to him later and the guy thought that I was gay. Hmmmm, doesn't mate it any better in my opinion.

People constantly amaze me and not very often in a good way. I know there are a few gay people on these forums and I have a lot of respect for you guys. I'm not saying you have all dealt with some **** in your past but I know it would've happened to some of you. Some people disgust me. I was talking to the taxi driver on the way home from the party and he was saying that he had heard of that guy before and almost every week he does something like that.

Any of you guys had similar experiences that just shows how f***ed up people can be sometimes.

FYI- I live in Australia so the legal drinking limit is 18 here, not 21.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If it were me I would definitely report him to the police. It is assault purely based on a perceived race. He really shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I agree...especially if he does this kind of thing a lot, something should be done.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Call the police now and have him charged with assault. If nobody stands up to him he will seriously hurt somebody before long. Think how you are going to feel if you do nothing then read in the papers in a year that he's crippled someone just for wearing the wrong clothes?

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Or what if he kills someone for being gay, or beats up two guys for holding hands?

Australia isn't the most tolerant place, not unless you're white, and straight. If you're of another race, you're better off as a girl. I don't have huge problems here, but I have had more problems than in most, if not all other countries I have travelled to.

6. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

I wouldn't bother calling the police after the fact unless you can prove he actually socked you for thinking you were gay, which ain't gonna happen.

Damn shame though, that guy's an asshat.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Man's inhumanity to his fellow man. Sorry you had to experience it.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd definitely call and see what the police say.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Talking to people 'in the wild' is risky business. It's a jungle out there.

10. Queso macrumors G4

As would I. By not even reporting it you're inferring that his behaviour is OK. Even if all that happens is that the police have a word and keep and eye on him in future, it's better than nothing.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Some drinkers get belligerent, no matter what the provocation.

The fact that the taxi driver knew of him tells me this. You don't run into a gay person every week, which is apparently the rate this guy lashes out. (Well, unless you seek them out. ;))

And to sucker-punch someone like that is pure cowardice, plain and simple.

He should be reported, if only to have the police keep an eye on him, lest he kill someone some day.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, and some people seem to do exactly that, like they've got something to prove. I once had some family out to visit, and in the course of doing all the touristy crap we had lunch at a little place near the Castro, then got on one of the historic streetcars on Market to go around to the wharf for an Alcatraz tour.

We got on the streetcar, and this young wannabe tough guy got on and started loudly announcing to no one in particular how he ***** hates ***** f'ots. He was just spoiling for a fight, and as I recall it there were any number of guys on that car that could have taken the kid's fool head off. Fortunately, none of them did, since I was worried about how I was going to get my mother and sister out of the middle of a brawl.

But I've got to wonder what motivates people to hate gay people so much they need to march themselves right down to the Castro to tell them so. That's more than a little crazy, or more than a little revealing depending on how snarkily Freudian you want to get about it.

13. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You hit the nail on the head. A lot of guys have "thoughts" about themselves or other men and it disturbs them. Maybe something happened in their past. Not saying all guys have homosexual thoughts that they lash out at, but a good majority of those guys who do lash out are deeply disturbed by those thoughts and think they have to lash out to prove that they are a man.

Humans are sexual beings, we are hardwired for pleasure. Everyone has some sort of deviant thought subconsciously. That does not mean you are gay or into bondage, they are just thoughts. A lot of women have fantasies about being raped but that does not mean they want to be raped. But a lot of individuals are scared by these thoughts and will do whatever they need to do to make sure they seem (at least to themeselves) that they are what they call "normal".

Peace:cool:

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

While I do not accept homosexuality (personally I can't stand 'those people' - there, now holler at me), it's still left up to each person to decide for him/herself how they feel about stuff and not up to any one person to judge you; Punching you in the face, for basically any reason excepting self-defense, would be grounds to seek legal prosecution - the fact that it concerns an expression of your opinion regarding something doesn't really matter.

If it concerned me voicing my opinion and someone sucker punched me I'd think seriously about taking to court.

He probably only feels that to prove his masculinity he's got to bring violence to the table... Give people like that a few drinks and then go for cover; People that get violent when they drink (acknowledging it also entails not knowing when to quit drinking until you've had too much) have real problems.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The world orbits the sun once per year. I know sometimes it seems like it's gone, but it's just on the other side. Give it a couple months, you'll see it again.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Ignorance is never something to be proud of.

17. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Neither is assumption of ignorance.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What on earth does this mean? Do you mean that you don't accept that it exists? It does, you know. Even you might be a little bit homosexual, deep down. This kind of blanket condemnation is idiotic. You probably wouldn't have a clue who 'those people' are, for the most part.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Anyone who uses the phrase "those people" in that context is ignorant.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Where were your buddies? Guy bought himself a beatdown.

21. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

My last comment was out of line a bit - I apologise - it was much too polarizing of an opinion to say in a public forum such as this.

Let me just explain it by saying 'those people' I make reference to their orientation, it is not a judge of their complete character. That being said, it's their orientation that I disagree with... This makes no statement about the fact they may possess other good qualities (kindness to animals, etc etc).

My point being, I do feel strongly about what I believe, but the wording in my last post was too left-field to bring into the forum that was not explicitly about orientation in the first place.

return
    }

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then they simply shouldn't drink.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You're not making it any better. You do not know "their orientation" - or your own, by the sound of it. It's not "much too polarizing of an opinion", it's just plain foolish and meaninglessly prejudiced.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Blah blah blah everyone has their own opinion blah blah blah let it go

25. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I grown more cynical each day. It sucks how the world generally blows. :(