Where have the existing customer AT&T refurbished phones gone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jschultz, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Is it just me?

I log into my account, hit the upgrade tab, and all I'm eligible for as an existing customer is the "early upgrade" iPhone prices. About a week ago, I saw refurbished iPhones for $199 (8GB). How come I'm not seeing them anymore? AT&T still has the $99 new customer iPhone on their site, but when I click on it, it brings me to my account and back to the same ol' process. What's going on here?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"Early upgrades" might not be eligible for specific phones, like iPhone refurbs. You might call AT&T and check if that's a mistake or something if you're wanting to get one.

3. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Just did :(

Apparently, there are different allocations of refurbs. There are always refurbs available for new customers and 'add-a-line' customers, but for us existing customers, the refurbs come and go.

The sales rep indicated that she didn't foresee many more refurbed iPhones being available to existing customers. That's no good for me.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It sounds fair if you think about it. They've gotta make their money back on your phone, and they at least give some leeway for early upgraders. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck for you, but this is why I have kept waiting and will until there's a $300 iPhone 3G with 32GB of storage. I waited at first and ended up with a first-gen refurb at $250. It still works great, although EDGE seems slower and slower by the day as I find more stuff to use my connection.

Let this be kind of a lesson/warning to people again: If you don't want to use this phone for two years, DON'T BUY IT.

5. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

My story is a bit different though.

I had a 2G iPhone that was a bit bunk. I sold it, got myself a Windows Mobile phone, and hate it. Now, trying to get back into an iPhone. Don't feel like paying $250 for an unlocked 2G. I'm not saying it's totally unfair- it's just an unfortunate situation for me because I'm stuck in limbo with a Windows Mobile phone (Pantech Duo, no less :()