Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I downloaded what I thought was going to be the update and all I got was itunes that has been changed so I can buy more stuff on itunes.....I got on my mini to app store and there is NO update for the OS...I wish when there is a MacRumors Story...there would be a link to the update but seems no one thought of that.

Attachments

• big head of horse sideways.jpg
    big head of horse sideways.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 239

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
(I am guessing that you meant 10.13.4 :D )
Downloads for macOS updates are found in the normal location - https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads
That gives you an updater that you can keep, if needed. The App Store updater download is a bit more challenging to keep.
So, one option is to download the macOS 10.13.4 combo updater from here....
Or, if you have 10.13.3 right now, just get the 10.13.3 to 10.13.4 delta updater.
Usually, the delta updater is a lot smaller than the combo updater, but now, not much smaller.
Or, download the full installer for High Sierra, which you can get through the App Store, Featured page.
Make a bootable installer, and do that full reinstall to the most current version.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Downloads for macOS updates are found in the normal location - https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads
That gives you an updater that you can keep, if needed. The App Store updater download is a bit more challenging to keep.
Or, if you have 10.13.3 right now, just get the 10.13.3 to 10.13.4 delta updater.
Usually, the delta updater is a lot smaller than the combo updater, but now, not much smaller.
Or, download the full installer for High Sierra, which you can get through the App Store, Featured page.
Make a bootable installer, and do that full reinstall to the most current version.
[doublepost=1522694501][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1522694577][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1522694501][/doublepost]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.40.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.40.10 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 197

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you try restarting your Mac immediately before you ran that updater app?
Be sure to try the combo updater. That install might be successful.
If not, you may be having some kind of problem with the system that you presently have installed, maybe some critical file has become corrupted somehow.
Download the full install. Use that to create a USB installer. Boot to that installer, and reinstall macOS. Hopefully, you won't need to get that far, but it's also a good plan to have a USB flash drive with the full installer, just in case you need that for some other purpose...

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

Thanks for your info's!

I was looking for the full installer of macOS HS too, in the MAS it has the download for HS - 13.4.08 - but is only a file of 22MB in my Applications folder. Is there any way to download the vanilla version of macOS HS 10.13, so I can later update with the combo update to 10.13.4?

TIA! :cool:

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Current download for High Sierra, from the App Store is version 13.4.09 (for macOS 10.13.4)
It will be 5.24GB. If you only get 22MB, that's not the correct download.

A restart IS keeping it simple. You are updating the system. That should be a reasonable step to install a large update onto a freshly-started system. It just makes good technical sense to do that. (Or, maybe something that I started doing years ago, to give the update the best chance to do its job.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Current download for High Sierra, from the App Store is version 13.4.09 (for macOS 10.13.4)
It will be 5.24GB. If you only get 22MB, that's not the correct download.

A restart IS keeping it simple. You are updating the system. That should be a reasonable step to install a large update onto a freshly-started system. It just makes good technical sense to do that. (Or, maybe something that I started doing years ago, to give the update the best chance to do its job.

Thanks! I still get:

in the MAS it has the download for HS - 13.4.08 - but is only a file of 22MB in my Applications folder.

I'm used to download the full installer and do a clean install, after that I use Migration Assistant. Is this workflow still doable with macOS HS 10.13(.4)?

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks! I still get:

I'm used to download the full installer and do a clean install, after that I use Migration Assistant. Is this workflow still doable with macOS HS 10.13(.4)?

why wouldn't the software update show up in the updates section of the App Store app?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
why wouldn't the software update show up in the updates section of the App Store app?
Well, that's where it would show up, assuming a normal working system (and perhaps more likely if one can give up on system betas :D )
Some prefer to "update" by using the current full installer. I am one of those.
If you wonder why that is a good thing - I mistreat my system, installing and testing lots of different kinds of apps, removing them, changing various system settings as that all goes forward. THAT occasionally results in corruption of various system files (or just generally mis-managed) A full reinstall of the system (which can include whatever that latest update might be) often gets things back to normal --- or, whatever normal is for me . I don't recommend to others the need to reinstall several times a month - but it is my life -- and my computer. It all works for me.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
n
Well, that's where it would show up, assuming a normal working system (and perhaps more likely if one can give up on system betas :D )
If you wonder why that is a good thing - I mistreat my system, installing and testing lots of different kinds of apps, removing them, changing various system settings as that all goes forward. THAT occasionally results in corruption of various system files (or just generally mis-managed) A full reinstall of the system (which can include whatever that latest update might be) often gets things back to normal --- or, whatever normal is for me . I don't recommend to others the need to reinstall several times a month - but it is my life -- and my computer. It all works for me.

says no updates and its not running 10.13.4.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Nothing prevents you from downloading the 10.13.4 combo update from Apple/support/downloads

Or, download the full installer for 10.13.4 from your App Store.

(I am now running 10.13.5 beta, so 10.13.4 gets less attention, now that is it released, I suppose)

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

Strange thing is, I can only download an installer file of 22MB. It then pops up the install screen of HS noting that there's an firmware update on its way before installing HS. Is the firmware update holding back the download of the full installer of macOS 10.13.4?

So my question remains, why can't I download the full installer?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.