Where is best place to sell pristine 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kapalua12, Oct 21, 2013.

1. kapalua12, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this sale but it's in pristine, perfect condition, original box and packaging without charger.

How much should I expect to get for it? It was used with ATT, 32 gb version.

Recommendations please?

2. iSIILENT macrumors regular

I just sold mines on eBay , fees hit you but you atleast don't risk your life on Craigslist . I sold my great condition 4s 64gb factory AT&T unlocked and jail broken , box and accessories for $370 shipped , not sure if that's great , but looking on eBay I think I did pretty good.

3. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

Try the "Sold" app on the iPhone. My non-jailbroken, non-unlocked AT&T 64gig 4s sold for $270, which is higher than Gazelle and Amazon the other buy-back sites, and on par with what I was seeing on eBay.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I have always been able to sell mine on craigslist within an hour of posting it for the price I ask.

You will definitely get some lowball offers from people just tell them no, and as long as your price is reasonable, there will be plenty of people willing to pay it.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

6. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Should I take the sim card out prior to selling the phone?

How are Game Stop prices now?

7. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Take the SIM card out.

I bought a used game and got 30% extra store credit with my 32gb with Sprint. Got $270 and just bought a bunch of Amazon gift cards.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Don't get emotionally attached to it now.

The big guys only care that "it has no obvious scratches" and "it has visible scratches."

Yes OF COURSE TAKE SIM out, that's your private information.

If you have a IOS6.1 or 6.2 (jail breakable) are the 4s that are going for big$$, "pristine" doesn't do that much.

9. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I just sold mine with Otterbox Case on eBay for $375, sold another one locally for $325, both were unlocked!

10. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

The phone is no longer on contract with ATT (does that make it unlocked
    ?) and has IOS 6.something (whatever the latest version was before IOS 7). It's no longer on contract with a carrier. Does that make it qualify for the big bucks as jail breakable?

Also have a Mophie Juice Pack Plus Case. Will GameStop buy that as well?

11. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

You can have AT&T unlock your phone now that it is out of contract. And I believe you can jailbreak, although you might leave that to the buyer and just point out that it can be jailbroken.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It depends on what firmware the particular 4S is on.
    You cant jb it on any firmware version.

13. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Have AT&T unlock it, then list it as an Unlocked phone, you should get an additional $50 out of it on eBay, especially now that unlocks seem to be going away for AT&T phones...

14. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Gamestop will not buy the Mophie.

Getting it unlocked is where the bigger bucks are at. Some people don't care if it's jailbroken....but you can ask for a higher price and tell them you're willing to upgrade to iOS7 upon request (at no charge).

15. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

This 4S has IOS 6.1.3 (10B329)

Is that what you need to know if it can be unlocked and therefore charge a higher price?

Modem firmware 3.4.03

16. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Go here for instructions on how to find out if your phone is unlocked. Unless you bought the phone at FULL price, then it's not unlocked.

17. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

18. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

honestly it's really none of those...

it's not the fastest. You have to make a listing, wait for bidding to end, wait to be paid, ship the item, and wait for paypal to transfer funds. This is a few days at most, up to 2 weeks. I can make a craislist listing and have my phone sold in 30 minutes, cash in hand, phone gone.

easiest is highly debatable, but you can't tell me that making an ebay and paypal account, linking your bank, and posting to ebay is easier than craigslist. I mean, if you already have an ebay account, maybe it could be as easy as craigslist, but ebay listings have the potential to be much more complicated due to the number of options.

safest I can give you because of the fraud prevention and the fact that you don't have to meet anyone in person.

most money, not really after ebay takes 10% then you have to pay a paypal fee, and you have to ship the item.

19. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

You need to learn how to do it right then.

I have yet to have a iPhone last more than 24 hours on an auction. I always have a buy it now price and I require immediate payment for buy it now. Money in hand in less than 24 hours. And I haven't left my house yet.

Print a label from ebay, stick it on the box, get son to put it in the mailbox. It's shipped. I still haven't left my house.

What's the difference in making a craigslist ad or a ebay auction? Each take seconds to do. Who doesn't have a paypal account? I buy and sell a ton on ebay.

You have to meet someone you don't know face to face while you are carrying something that person knows is worth a bit of money. I have a CPL so it's slightly less of a worry, but my ebay way is safer.

With ebay you don't have to drive anywhere, deal with people trying to haggle on the price, deal with people not showing up when they said they would, deal with people agreeing to one price and then haggling when you take time out of your day to meet with them.

As far as the most money...I have sold iPads on ebay for twice what I paid for them on launch day. On the launch of the 2 I bought 4 of them. Sold 2 of them on ebay that same day and the third the next morning. I listed them both on CL and ebay. Didn't even have a email on them from CL. I kept the 4th. Ebay and paypal fees are built into the cost of the item. Shipping is paid for by the buyer.

Not to mention that not everyone lives in a large metro area. Ebay is way better for getting to a wider audience and thus making more money.

If you are looking for easiest and fastest, take it to a game stop. But your in pocket money will be about half or less than what you can get on ebay.

20. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I don't need to learn how to do anything.. I have sold many things on both craigslist and ebay.

last time I checked 24 hours is still a LOT longer than 20 minutes I have sold a phone for on Craigslist.

I have sold many things on craigslist and never had to deal with anyone not showing up when they said they wanted to buy something. Plus when I'm selling, I can tell them to meet me 5 minutes away at a gas station, and tell me when they get there. Little chance I have to worry about them not showing up.

Yes listing on ebay is still pretty easy, but there are WAY more options and things to chose from on ebay than there are on craigslist. On CL I put a title, email, location and description and I'm done. On ebay you have to chose from things like buy it now, how long the auction should last, making your listing stand out, different layouts, etc. There are a LOT more boxes full of selections and information to fill out on ebay than craigslist. And contrary to your opinion, not every person has a paypal account. Especially probably someone asking for advice on where to sell something. That means more time setting it up, linking to your bank account etc. Plus with paypal, you don't have instant access to your funds without a paypal debit card. YOu will have to wait for the funds to transfer to your bank account, which will take a few days. Someone new to selling is likely to have to setup a new paypal account, and thus would not have a paypal debit card, meaning yet again, more wait time to get their money.

I agreed it is slightly more dangerous due to the fact that you have to meet with someone face to face, but honestly how many people have been killed in a craigslist deal?

You got double the price of the iPad because there was no supply left after the launch day and that's what people are willing to pay. I could sell it for the same amount on craigslist, and guess what?? I get to keep EVERY PENNY, 100% of the sale. On ebay you don't, you have to pay fees, paypal fees, buy it now fees, shipping, etc. I don't care how you slice it, you are not making more money than me when you have to pay fees and I do not.

I never claimed that craigslist was the best solution for everyone or everywhere. All I said is that your claim that ebay is the fastest, easiest, and most money are flat out WRONG.

21. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I need to move closer to you, all my CL buyers either don't show up, or can't read the posts... Had a guy drive 45 minutes to buy a phone clearly labeled as a Sprint phone and he thought it was a Verizon phone.

22. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

obviously mileage will vary, you are dealing with live people, and many people are not very intelligent. but I have never driven more than 10 minutes to meet someone on CL, and I always tell them to let me know when they are about 5-10 minutes away and that's when I leave my house.

Very little chance someone is not going to show up when they are already on their way and very close to the destination.

23. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

eBay is not 100% scam safe either. A buyer can claim the item never came or it came but was damaged or not as described.

Craigslist is great, as long as you use common sense.

24. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Most? Ha.
    I sold my 4S (new) on Ebay for $350 (which I think is a very reasonable price)
    After all of the fees and shipping, I only got to pocket $280.

I will be using CL next time I sell for sure.