Where is everyone buying the 3rd gen 32 or 64 gb iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hisboyelroy, Sep 13, 2009.

1. hisboyelroy macrumors member

hisboyelroy

I've been looking at the local Best Buy and Target this weekend and am not finding any new 32 or 64 gb iPod touches actually in the stores to purchase. After searching the regular Internet retailers, I'm not so sure any of them actually have them either. Most say they are "on order" or "available for pre-order" only. That makes me somewhat skeptical of some of the other Internet retailers that say they are "generally in stock." I'm trying to avoid purchasing a new iPod Touch now only to find out they plan to ship it to me in two or three weeks.

If anyone has actually purchased one of the new 32 or 64 gb iPod touches from somewhere other than their local Apple Store or the online Apple Store, I'd like to hear where you have purchased it and if it has arrived, or seems to be on its way to you.

2. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I'd also like to know this. Best Buy's in Canada say on their website that they're getting them on the 15th, while Walmart just told me two-three weeks from yesterday.
    So, I'd say people are getting them from the Apple Store, or they ordered it when they first became available and got Apple to ship it to them.

3. MacPrincess888 macrumors newbie

Usually other stores [besides Apple stores] do not get inventory until about a week after the release of the new item. So, don't plan to see them until the end of this coming week!

4. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I personally am not getting one as its not a big enough upgrade from the 2g, so I'm going to wait for the 4g unless we start seeing a lot of games that require the new hardware.

5. gordian238 macrumors newbie

Mine started out in Kunshan, China to Shanghai to Anchorage to Memphis. My 64GB iPod Touch will be delivered 16 Sep. For me this is a big step up from an 80GB Video iPod (which now goes to grandson #1) :apple:

6. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Mine as well. I ordered it right after the conference. It was shipped out the evening of the 9th. (picked up at Kunshan) then sat at Kunshan Fed Ex until the 12th. Went to Anchorage 7am yesterday and arrived in Memphis 7:30 this morning.
    Of course now I have to wait for it to come from Memphis back to the west coast (Seattle). Suppose to be here on 16th. When I ordered it was suppose to be here 1-3 days then it was 5 days. From the 9th to the 16th is not the orignial timeframe but since they keep changing it to reflect on time delievery guess I can't do anything except pace floor and bitch!:)

7. BrainTuba macrumors newbie

Costco (in Canada), should be in by mid this week. Plus for those who buy at Costco, they have a very liberal 90 day return policy on electronics, so if something goes wrong (or if Apple suddenly releases one with a camera in the next few months) you'd be covered for an exchange.

8. Dieder macrumors member

9. thefatmould macrumors member

Apple online store NZ - Still has not shipped although it is prepared for shipment.

10. infer0 macrumors newbie

I'm planning on getting a 32GB touch at Best Buy. I'm just waiting for stores to have them available

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Our Best Buy had a partial shipment of new iPods they had gotten in yesterday (or Friday). They weren't on display, just locked in the case - but they had shelf tags for the new stuff.

Nano's, Classic's and a few 32gb Touch's.

I was kinda shocked actually!

12. infer0 macrumors newbie

Wow, that's good news! I hope my Best Buy has that too. I've been getting so many mixed messages from the ppl who work there, its crazy haha

13. infer0 macrumors newbie

So, I just called two Best Buy stores in my area and both said that the new iPods are in stores now! :D

14. destroyer333 macrumors newbie

my ipod touch is arriving around sep. 15-17.
    Sep 13, 2009 6:44 PM,Departed FedEx location-MEMPHIS, TN. Hopefully i get it around monday or tuesday since i live in NY

15. thefatmould macrumors member

My iPod has shipped and should be here Thursday. YAY!!

16. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

What are the odds that during the next week, I walk into my local Walmart/Best Buy and see a 3rd Gen, 32 Gigabyte iPod Touch?

17. LazersGoPEWPEW macrumors regular

Best Buy in my town had the new iPod touches and a good stock of the 2g ones also.

18. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Do you live in a populated town, or a less populated town?
    Like, are there a lot of people who would want one where you live?
    (Because I don't want to walk in there just to find out that they don't have any.)

19. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I bought my 64GB from the local Apple Store, got them in on Friday.

20. fernande-mac macrumors regular

Walmart still had the old iPod models at their original prices.

So, I am just going to wait until they get rid of that inventory... :D

I might even wait until they show up at SAM's Club.

21. hisboyelroy thread starter macrumors member

hisboyelroy

Thanks for all the good information on this topic concerning where you are finding iPod Touches.

To summarize...am I correct that Best Buy and the Apple Store (and Online Apple Store) are the only places anyone has actually purchased and received a new generation 32 or 64 iPod Touch? No one has found them "in stock" at any other retailer or online store?

22. tenand2indy macrumors member

I just ordered mine through the Apple site. A 32GB.

The BB near me had only the 8GB in stock, they had shelf tags for the new models, but no stock. I was in two different Walmarts this past weekend and neither had ANY ipod touches new or old in stock.

Since all my previous purchases from the Apple online store have shipped so quickly (I received in one two days tops) I went back to them. Of course, I live in Indy and as a FedEx hub we get our shipments incredibly fast.

23. Macfisto macrumors member

Advantage of buying from the online Apple store?

Hi, I was just wondering if there is an advantage of buying directly from Apple (online) compared to buying them at the other stores (walmart, Costco, Future Shop, Best buy, etc).

Forgetting about the price, where would it be best for me to buy a new Ipod touch?

I am thinking mostly of issues/problems that may happen within the first few days (30). Am I correct to assume that Best Buy, Costco, etc, would just take back my defective one and exchange for a new Ipod Touch if it happens, while Apple will not do that, i.e. they will try to fix/repair the Ipod touch and never give me back a new one (or only on rare cases)?

I don’t want to return it (issues or not) but it would be nice to know that I can have a new one hassle free if ever I have problems with it. I don’t want it to be sent away for a few days if it’s been only 20 days or so. And what about the engraved ones? I assume those bought at Apple will never just be exchanged but sent away for repair. Correct?

Thanks for your expertise (please reply what you do know not what you think/guess might happen)

24. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

If I buy I will get it on base. Though the military base always seems to get the new iPods late. Gotta love that no tax.

25. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

It arrived:):):):)

Just received my 64GB and so far am loving it. Ordered it on the 9th and it arrived this morning the 15th. Of course for some reason it sat in China for 2 days and then went from alaska to Memphis before coming back to Seattle. Don't understand that transit route at all! :rolleyes:

It hasn't hiccuped so far and is already acting much better than the 32gb 2nd gen I had. It does seem to response a bit faster than the 2nd 32gb I had. The 2nd had a ton of issues so it went back the end of June and I decided to wait for this one.

For me, I am glad there is no camera, don't use the one I have in my cell phone nor have I ever used them. So for me I was glad this itouch didn't have it and the software which would take up memory space. I think the hardware and software updates that are in the 32 and 64gb models more than justify it. There are some things I am not familiar with but haven't really had time to read the user manual I downloaded.

Have 1300 songs, 12 movies, 93 applications and 10 photos on it so far and have used 10gb of space. So I am pleased. Of course I would rather had more memory since I am one who thinks she needs every song, movies etc to carry with me. I have not downloaded any of my kindle books yet but they do not take up much space. Also still have my Beatles to load into itunes.:)

Bottom Line I am happy with it so far :D:D:D:D:D:D