Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovyd

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Still no update available for my macbook pro 2013 here in atlanta. Are they delaying rollout?

groovyd

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Got it, yep... doesn't show up as a update you have to go looking for it in the app store and download it. why do I keep forgetting this? think this is how they did sierra too right? for some reason i was expecting it to just show up as an update like ios releases do.

Reactions: rugmankc

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
Got it, yep... doesn't show up as a update you have to go looking for it in the app store and download it. why do I keep forgetting this? think this is how they did sierra too right? for some reason i was expecting it to just show up as an update like ios releases do.
Yep...may be they don't like you? :). Yes I had to search for it too and it was where it was suppose to be.

groovyd

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
I have a comcast account here in atlanta 30Mbps 8ms ping and am seeing 18 hours download, wth. id thought since you have to go into the store and find it and download it manually it wouldn't be so slammed at the moment.
[doublepost=1506392021][/doublepost]So I just cancelled the download and started it over and it is now saying 20 min and much much faster. Appears to entirely depend on the connection you got when you started the download. If it is taking long just cancel and restart, it's like rolling the dice I guess.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it's day one of HS, so it's...time of day. everyone came home tonite, and is downloading the OS. so, try it late at night (or during commuting time)...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Can you download it but not install it? I don't plan on upgrading from Sierra until we're a few months down the line. Work out any initial bugs that show up.

Didn't El Capitan > Sierra give a small popup at the top right way down the line?

Dl is gonna be over an hour. I have 60Mbps dL with Sprectrum.
Hey bud, are you in a legacy area? If so, you can try and see if they'd bump you over to the new base speed.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Be prepared for a long dL and install.
My download and install took less than an hour.
[doublepost=1506393559][/doublepost]
Can you download it but not install it? I don't plan on upgrading from Sierra until we're a few months down the line. Work out any initial bugs that show up.

Didn't El Capitan > Sierra give a small popup at the top right way down the line?

Hey bud, are you in a legacy area? If so, you can try and see if they'd bump you over to the new base speed.
After you download, just exit out of the installer.

groovyd

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
finally done and fs upgraded to apfs in the 40 min it took to install. is it really upgraded or background migrating? hard to believe it could reformat and write all the files and file tables of 500gb disk that is mostly full in that time. let's assume future sw installs and upgrades should be much faster now that they don't have to hard copy files all over your disk 3 times during install anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.