Where is the best place to buy a Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gcans, May 21, 2011.

1. gcans macrumors member

gcans

I've been looking in to getting a Macbook Air for school and i was just wandering what store or site is the best place to get a mac book air at(who has the cheapest prices).:apple::D

2. tennis11 macrumors member

Apple store...

Never live in the past but always learn from it.

3. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Check out the refurbs on Apple.com, as cheap as 850 I believe.

4. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Returns/exchanges are much easier with Apple than other retailers. I'd stick with Apple Store too

5. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I am partial to Amazon... tax free. Free shipping and lower prices.

6. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I just bought mine from the Apple Refurb store. Got it in like three days, and it was flawless. You get all the original paperwork and accessories — everything minus the original box. Got my base MacBook Air for $849.

7. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

thats helpful, but i prefer the apple store. go to a tax free state if you have on near...

8. Bottomsup macrumors regular

For the iPad at least I found amazon way more expensive than everywhere else.

9. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That's cause they don't actually sell the iPad... its sold by resellers. I would only buy an Apple product from Amazon or their open item section. picked up an open item mba base model for 797.99 tax free.

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Tax free? I've always been taxed when I buy things from Amazon... Am I missing something here?

---
    Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product

11. NurJahan macrumors member

Maybe Microcenter might have something for less. They usually have good sales on Apple products a couple of times of year. The new MBP 13" is $999 there.

12. Bottomsup macrumors regular

thanks. I'll have to look more closely. I find the amazon store increasingly complex and confusing to navigate. It's like a flea market.

is there a way to filter out all the non amazon shops?

13. Oldandintheway macrumors member

Try Them

You can go through Appleinsider to MacMall and get an extra 3% discount. I bought an 11" Air on ebay from MacMall for $849. They have free shipping and no sales tax in my state at least. They shipped the same day.

http://www.appleinsider.com/

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

well it's tax free for me in California... I'm not sure what state Amazon's office located out of... but that state would be taxed since they have a "store" in that state.

15. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well most of the time the item on the main item page is Amazon... but you can always click on the "More Buying Options" to confirm... it brings you to a page that looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...c?ie=UTF8&qid=1306100582&sr=8-1&condition=all

From there you either buy from the Seller called Amazon or Amazon Warehouse Deals for open items.

16. Matt54987 macrumors newbie

Don't buy a MBA anywhere but Apple unless it has 4GBs of RAM, which I've never seen anywhere else (except user auctions).

Don't short yourself by only get 2GB

17. Bottomsup macrumors regular

i'm confused. only buy apple unless it has 4gb of RAM? what's the logic?

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

He's saying you should get the 4gb of ram option, and most resellers don't offer it. So if you're buying it from Apple, you can add that option. If you buy it from anyone else, he's saying don't do it unless they have the 4gb option.

On that note, it all depends on what you're doing with it. I bought mine to last me a couple of years, and to supplement my MacBook Pro. I wanted something that was the least expensive possible and the most portable, to allow me to do light web browsing, e-mailing, and writing on the go (I'm a journalist). I have photoshop installed, but do not plan to do anything spectacular with it. I have a 2010 iMac at work and my 2008 MBP at home, so I went with the base MBA with 2gb of RAM. Up until about January my MBP only had 2gb of RAM, and I could deal with that.

So while many will tell you on here will tell you to get the 4gb option or else, it really depends on what you're going to do with it. Are you planning on selling it in a year or two? If so, go with 4gb, because it will have a better resale value.

19. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

agreed... if you want/need BTO, only go to Apple for it...

You can't upgrade the RAM on your MBA and Apple is the only first party seller you can find a 4gb MBA... I'm hoping that ALL models of the next MBA will have 4gb of RAM... I wouldn't hold my breath though... but I will cover one nostril.

20. Matt54987 macrumors newbie

I, too, am a journalist and I am looking into a MBA (13" ultimate), but I need to it run InDesign rather well.

Have you tried InDesign on yours?

21. va47764, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

va47764 macrumors newbie

Personally I think Best Buy is the best place to buy any Mac product. You are covered by Apples warranty AND you can use your Best Buy reward Zone points. Assuming a new laptop costs you around $1,200, you would be receiving roughly $50 in best buy reward zone money which you can use to purchase anything from them. Not bad if you ask me and this is coming from a guy who isn't a big fan of Best Buy but they do have a good prices. Also on a side note, if you have a Best Buy credit card you can get no interest for 2 years. :D

22. ApplNat macrumors member

ApplNat

do you realize you responded to a 2 year old thread? That question was asked in 2011. :confused:

23. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

lol looks like he just signed up at couldn't wait to comment on the thread without reading the date.