iPhone X Where is the Best Place to Buy an iPhone X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nviz22, Jan 11, 2018.

1. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Where is the best place to buy an iPhone X? I feel like Swappa isn't bad as eBay. Although I don't think I want to buy from Swappa at this time. I am looking to get a brand new in box 64gb Silver unlocked for about $899 and tax free. Apple charges $999 + tax and that is a bit too much once you add tax to the total (7%). I see reputable eBay sellers sell in bulk for iPhones from time to time as well. In the US as well to add.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

Check out craigslist (one listed for $750 here in ABQ, buyer's remorse).

3. tonybarnaby macrumors 6502a

I'd never buy a used phone unless I knew the seller personally or it was swappa. Too many scammers and fakes out there.

4. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Rather not have to go meet someone at a police station.

5. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

When I sell my phone's I usually meet at one of the cell carrier stores. They should also be able to verify that the phone is not stolen our locked to an iCloud account.

6. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

I do this as well.

You'd rather not meet someone to save a couple hundred bucks? Weird.

7. rockitdog macrumors 68020

If buying used, Swappa is the best place. Otherwise I prefer to buy straight from Apple.

8. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

I want to buy new, but Apple is charging too high of a price. It's not worth between $370-$470 for me to upgrade to the X.

I would rather buy a Galaxy S8 and get the "iPhone X" like experience/save $ than spend $370-470 extra to get the X. If the upgrade is about $200 out of pocket, that would be nice for me.

9. Brandonjr36 macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

If you want new then your gonna have to pay new price. That’s just common sense. Either get a used one from Craigslist or somewhere like that. Or pay the $1000 for a new one or don’t get one. Those are really your only choices.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I know on facebook people are selling the x for £800 odd

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

My suggestion would be to take your time and research Swappa. Find a good seller that is reputable and has an iPhone X that is discounted, but has all the preferences you are looking for. Especially considering that you were not in a rush to do so.

12. Brandonjr36 macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

I agree, but he said he wants new.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, I am wondering what changed his mind.

14. DevinNj macrumors 6502

You can buy new on Swappa, I do it all the time. As stated, look for a reputable seller with good ratings. That's what I'd do if I were you- OP

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you want used, Craigslist or eBay. New? Apple.

16. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Changed my mind about new? I wouldn't buy used because if I use something for a long time, it better have a 1 year warranty.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

My Post did not suggest the OP had to purchase used, I stated "Purchase the iPhone X at a discounted price", which not every seller may be selling the iPhone X at full price if they want to sell it quickly. Especially given they are Widely available and in stock.

Reference:

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then if you are buying new, head over to an Apple store or carrier store. Obviously the latter is always worst.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Agreed. And now that the iPhone X is available almost in every Apple store and carrier, other sellers are looking to sell them quickly for at least somewhat of a discounted price, due to the stable stock levels. Swappa would be a place to check first.

20. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

I still stand by my iOS criticisms. Clunky notification systems, an overly simplified OS, behind Android with software features, and the biggest PITA is iTunes. Pricing is horrendous on the iPhone X. I had the Note 8 for a couple of months. I sold it off because I simply couldn't handle the lack of software support from my carrier for major bugs. My phone randomly rebooted and I also had some hiccups with the Note 8. Samsung is also quirky, but I notice the same quirks on the Pixel 2 as well. Quirks include: no replying to SMS or What's App messages from a lock screen, a little notification has to be tapped to log into a secure wifi rather than the web-browser opening up automatically to a sign in page, and apps aren't updated as frequently as iOS ones are.

I got the iPhone 8+ for free, but the bezels are too big and I miss the iPhone X's minimal bezels and bigger screen. I still think TouchID is better than FaceID since FaceID is really gimmicky. I am also considering the Galaxy S8+ again since it probably will drop to like $400 by the time the S9 comes out. Rather just get something that works, even if it is behind on software features and has a nice sticker price.

When I use an Apple Watch, it just synchs better and feels more premium than my Moto 360 with an iPhone or Android device. My Mac works with the iPhone really well too. I am all over the place, I know.

If Google could've taken the best of iOS (iMessage, 3D Touch, unified software + hardware process, etc) and combine it with their frequent updates, pure Android software, and offer Samsung like hardware? You're talking about a winner.

If there was a Google Play edition of the S8 or S8+, I would own that no questions asked and wouldn't even look back at iOS. If I didn't own a MacBook, I wouldn't even consider an iPhone at this time.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks for the explanation!

It seemed like you were dead set against the X, so I was just curious at what had changed.

22. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

No problem. The price is astonishingly high and the features aren't earth shattering. A lot of people are completely turned off or disgusted by Apple right now since their prices are becoming less reasonable (to the consumer) and the throttling stuff adds worries regarding current purchases and future Apple purchases.

23. Brandonjr36 macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

My bad didn’t no they sold new on that site.

24. tonybarnaby macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with a carrier model? We love our TMO iPhones.