Where is the best place to buy the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hypertc13, Mar 14, 2012.

1. hypertc13 macrumors regular

So I regret being hesitant and not pre-ordering it when I could. I leave for a trip on Saturday so I would really like to get it on Friday so I could enjoy it on the plane and in the hotel. My question is where is my best chance to get one?
    I'm looking at getting the 32GB model+LTE with Verizon. Here are my choices all within 10 minutes of me:

Apple Store
    Best Buy
    Verizon

I think Verizon would be a good place to go but I have no idea if they will even be carrying them on launch day. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. kidnice15 macrumors member

I am thinking about getting the same model. I would go to either Verizon or Bestbuy. That's just my suggestion.

3. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Since your going for a Verizon model, I'd say call your local VZW store to make sure they will be getting some in stock, and if yes go that route. The line their will be substantially shorter than the one at the Apple store.

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

5. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I will probably end up giving them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I have a feeling that that won't have many for launch day though.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Apple will have the longest line but also the most stock!

7. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, i was kinda figuring that as well. My worry with best buy would be that they will mainly have WIFI only ones. Maybe I will get lucky though because it seems like the majority of people are after WIFI only ones.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Any store except for Apple will get a random number of units. Could be 5, could be 200. If you don't want to risk standing in line for 2 hours and not getting what you want... or anything at all because they only got 5 total!, get up at 4am and go to the apple store. You'll likely be out by 8:30 and not even late for work!

9. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

I would almost guarantee you will get one at an apple store, though you may be in a long line.

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

BestBuy was very organized last year. I stalked the store at 10am (no line) and came back at 1pm and was 4th or so in line. They even brought us out chairs to wait (inside the computer area of the store).

About an hour and a half before launch, they came by with clipboards and you told them which iPad carrier/model/size/accessories you wanted.

Then about 30 minutes later, they handed out the "golden tickets" - essentially a ticket for the exact model you want to buy. That's how they knew when they were out of a carrier/model/size was you didn't get a ticket. Made it easy, at launch you queued up at the checkout line and handed them your golden ticket (and your credit card haha), they handed you an iPad.

If I hadn't preordered, I'd go the BB route again this year.

11. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. About 6 years ago I worked at a best buy when I was in high school, and I was planning on camping out when the ps3 was released. I went directly after school and there was probably more than 40 people in line already and set up tents. It was a nightmare