Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I've been having problems with my computer sleeping when the computer closes. Basically i've narrowed it down to the hall effect sensor but no one has that part for my computer! ifixit and powerbook medic only have it for the 12". and it's not like the 15" is just out of stock, it doesn't seem to exist.

So is the thing that senses that the laptop is closed and puts the mac to sleep something else on the powerbook? I've searched for reed switches and hall effect sensors.

thanks!

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I've been having problems with my computer sleeping when the computer closes. Basically i've narrowed it down to the hall effect sensor but no one has that part for my computer! ifixit and powerbook medic only have it for the 12". and it's not like the 15" is just out of stock, it doesn't seem to exist.

So is the thing that senses that the laptop is closed and puts the mac to sleep something else on the powerbook? I've searched for reed switches and hall effect sensors.

thanks!

isnt it supposed to sleep when you close the lid?

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
isnt it supposed to sleep when you close the lid?

yes, sorry if i was unclear. i'm just having issues with that feature.
basically it will either not fall asleep when i close it, or if it does fall asleep, it'll wake up if i move the computer or sometimes just wake up on its own.

Maybe the computer won't stay asleep, or won't go to sleep in the first place? :confused:

exactly right.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Perhaps it has to do with the magnet that is used?

yeah, i believe that's what the hall effect sensor is. but i have no idea where to get that part to replace it. i'm going to the apple store today so hopefully they can help me for free. I'm over a year out of warranty but they're usually pretty good about that...

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
If there is a hall effect sensor it`ll be somewhere along the front edge.

I don`t think your model has the magnetic latch mechanism. But i`d still expect it to be near the latch, probably on the screen side as thats where the physical latch drops down from, attracted by a magnet.

As it seems to be working intermittently ie, waking up when moved, i`d suggest running a weak magnet along the top of the screen whilst open and see if the mac suspends/wakes.

If that`s the case then getting it fixed might be tricky, ie. non serviceable.

As an alternative why don`t you set the power management to a suitably short inactivity period, that way at least it`ll sleep and if it wakes after moving then it`ll go back to sleep pretty quick.

Cheers.
M.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
If there is a hall effect sensor it`ll be somewhere along the front edge.

I don`t think your model has the magnetic latch mechanism. But i`d still expect it to be near the latch, probably on the screen side as thats where the physical latch drops down from, attracted by a magnet.

As it seems to be working intermittently ie, waking up when moved, i`d suggest running a weak magnet along the top of the screen whilst open and see if the mac suspends/wakes.

If that`s the case then getting it fixed might be tricky, ie. non serviceable.

As an alternative why don`t you set the power management to a suitably short inactivity period, that way at least it`ll sleep and if it wakes after moving then it`ll go back to sleep pretty quick.

Cheers.
M.

i just got back from the apple store. long story short we found it it's not the hall effect sensor. When my computer wakes up it gives me this:
IOBluetoothHCIController::restartShutdownWL this is a wake from sleep

so she says it's the bluetooth controller which is on the logic board waking it up. turning off bluetooth doesn't help so it's literally the chip on the board, which would require a logic board replacement which is too much money, especially for a relatively minor issue like this.

but i googled that error and supposedly all powerbook owners get that line when they wake up their machine. i just got it from waking it up manually.

SO MY QUESTIONS IS: does anyone with a powerbook g4 code this line in console when they wake up their powerbook???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.