Where is the stimulus for a college education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Sep 14, 2009.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So we want everyone to get healthcare and buy a car to help stimulate the economy but isn't the bigger issue a good education. If kids can't afford to go to college without going bankrupt trying to pay it off isn't that the real problem. How can we train the future to get the good jobs and rule the world if they can't even afford it. Better jobs, better healthcare, better economy?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are some breaks, but it's also that a lot of kids aren't satisfied going to community college, which can help the entire process out dramatically.

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Debate over student loan reform is ongoing, but eclipsed in the news by health care reporting.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It seems a lot of issues have taken a back seat.

Our legislatures cannot multitask. :rolleyes:

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

In my pants.

Sorry. :p
    I would have to agree with the OP. Education is the key to a growing society. I find myself in a situation where a stimulous bill for college would really help.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We already push too many kids into college when they do not belong there. Its bad enough having to suffer through all of the geneds filled with kids riding sports scholarships already. I have no problem rewarding academic achievement in high school, but I don't want to see a free ride ticket for everyone to go to college, it would be detrimental to our college education system.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not saying free ride, I am saying make it affordable to those that want to go. I agree that not everyone is cut out for college, but those who are should be able to go without mortgaging their future to get it. Cut out the sports scholarships and give them to those that are truly deserving.

If we are going to talk about bloat in healthcare, there is a lot in education too.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Where do you see financial support as a free ride? You forget that you have to 1) want to go 2) will commit time to study 3) can achieve the results that keep you in school.

Just cause you got private means to go to school doesn't mean that a public support system for education means a "free ride"

9. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The only people that college is not affordable for are those with other responsibilities such as spouses, children, younger siblings, etc. If you are only supporting yourself, college is completely affordable for almost everyone.

Sports scholarships that create a solid athletic program bring thousands or millions of dollars into the school which helps pay for other academic programs and scholarships. Cutting sports scholarships would reduce the number of other scholarships a university has to offer.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The colleges will quickly catch on to this and then re-tailor their courses to keep kids in school and get further federal funds, essentially dumbing our college education system down to a level that the average joe can pass. They already do this to keep student athletes in eligible status to play in the games, at my first college the student athletes would be allowed to test in a separate room with an aide. I don't have to venture to guess who was answering a majority of the questions.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Usually parents are paying for their kids college. Have a few kids at $20,000 a year seems like a lot to me. As for sports, I think the schools hoard most of it or pay the coaches.

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The problem I see is that parents are paying for their children's education. From my experience as a professor, advisor, and program administrator, it was always the students with parents footing the bill that were the least responsible with the education (on average). Those that were on scholarships for previous success or those that were working to pay for school were the students that actually cared about their grades and futures.

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

But we also tell kids not to get a credit card if they can't afford to pay it back. Isn't a student loan just that. They are paying it off 20 or 30 years after college. Why does college have to cost 15-20k a year? Where is all that cost going.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Depends on the school, I know redundant administration takes up a nice chunk of the money in some colleges along with the dean getting a nice hefty paycheck.

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'm not sure where that would come from. Colleges today already have more applicants than admitted students. If we are discussing instead of loans, for people to get more "free" assistance to attend college, I don't think it will make it a boon for universities everywhere.

And what is wrong with average joe getting an education? Schools have certain standards that service anybody who can succeed in college. Your non-average geniuses can screw up in college as well.

As for student athletes, they are cash cows for schools, not because of the money they PAY, but money they GENERATE. I don't see how this is at all similar to "free" education.

You are comparing credit cards to student loans? :confused: CC have no ROI, college education does. One has crazy rates that kick in immediately, others are more controlled so students repay them after graduation, and recently with federal loans the repayment rate is based on how much you earn.

I'm not sure where all the costs are going, but schools are no only using tuition money, but donations and returns on investment as well to pay for buildings, professors, utilities, etc. I'm sure Google would give us some info.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The average joe does have an adequate education, the problem starts when everyone else has to get a sub-par college education so that everyone can pass. This same system is done in our public schools to make sure each kid gets to the next level, I have never seen a kid held back, but I have experienced the whole class being hi-jacked by one kid who doesn't understand prerequisite material.

The student athlete rant was mainly because of my experience with them in courses, "what the ****" moments never happened so often.

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Student Loan rates dropped significantly in the last year.

From 7+% to heading under 3% in the coming years.

Thats a stimulus for alot of people.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I have a spouse and two children and while I wouldn't necessarily say it's affordable. I haven't had many problems paying for my own education and supporting my family. I have a nicer car, a good apartment, and have been able to provide everything my family needs and then some, all while attending school full time, and often working full time as well. It's about budgeting both in money and time. Some people think it's impossible to work through school, others think it's a bad idea. I feel like it makes me a sharper student. And it helps with the responsibilities of raising my family.

It would be nice if my university was less expensive to attend, but I've received a good education and a lot of opportunities to gain valuable insight and experiences to better my prospects in the future, I'm not sure I could put a pricetag on that.

However, my university might be a lot less expensive than some private schools, and I'm paying in state tuition.

SLC

19. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Working through college not only makes people sharper students, but it makes them value their education so much more. When a student realizes how much they are paying for their education and how long it takes to earn that money, they are a lot more serious about their studies and don't spend their entire college life partying and wasting their parents' money.

20. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

How does average joe get an education today that would change then?

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It doesn't have to be like that. Here, and I'm sure other countries too, most public schools are actually better than private schools. In private schools, as long as you can afford it, you can get in. In public school you actually need good grades to get in.

And when I say that they're good, I don't mean just within out country. In my school people graduate really well prepared for the job market. Just recently a girl from my school went to work for Google, another went to work for Microsoft, just to name a few.

Apparently having a tuition of only $400 per semester didn't dumb them down. What it does, at least for me and a lot of my friends, is that since we don't have to worry as much about money and bills we actually have plenty of time to study and develop other skills in our school's many extra-curricular activities.

Another advantage is that since 99% of people graduate debt free we don't have to rush in and get a job we don't like as soon as we graduate because we have debt to pay. People actually have the liberty to experiment, travel, whatever, before settling down.

EDIT: I agree with all of you that say that is good for students to also work. The difference is that here, instead of having to work to pay college debt, I can actually work to save money to do an internship abroad when I graduate.

Public school doesn't make students not work, at least not here. But it does make things easier for one of my friends, for example, that is 22 years-old and has a 2 year old daughter, and she can put herself through college and take care of herself and her kid without going into debt. She can actually even save money for their future.

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is correct. In fact in some countries you are considered a loser if you get into private school. :eek:

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Our private schools are the most prestigious in the world. We have a good public college system also, but both are very expensive. Community colleges are good, but the ones around here are lacking.

If they were academic performers as you pointed out before then they would have performed well regardless of cost.

I have no problem with help for those who performed well in the past, what I am against is allowing everyone a free ticket to the college of their choice.

Public funding in the US allows 6 months of lee-way to get a job before payments start, you can defer up to 36 months IIRC. So thats 3 and a half years to "find yourself".

Our public education system pre-college is highly lacking. I am not familiar with your country's education system, but it is possible that you have higher standards.

I agree that college is highly overpriced though, I imagine the large push for everyone to go to college and the government's grant/loan programs have something to do with it though.

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's never a free ticket, you still need good grades to get in and to graduate.

The way the system is now, someone with lots of money who never worked a day in his life can easily get into college but someone really smart and hard working might not go to college because it's too expensive.

Yeah, and it's really good to start your life with thousands and thousands of dollars in debt... :rolleyes:

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not saying its a good way to start life out. College needs to be less expensive for those who qualify and meet academic standards.

Private schools in the US use academic requirements also, but if you know enough people you are likely to get in on money alone.