Where is Tim Cook regarding Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Adam Warlock, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

Where is that champion of the oppressed and defender of freedom, Tim Cook? When can we look forward to reading company-wide e-mails about standing in solidarity with not only Apple Hong Kong employees but all peoples fighting for liberty? When will Tim Cook visit the Chinese government to speak on behalf of Apple Hong Kong employees? What about full-page ads in the NYTimes, WaPo and, more importantly, major Chinese newspapers? Perhaps some juicy soundbites for the news? The world is waiting, Tim Cook!

2. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

We could also ask the same about President Trump.

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

If the President wants to be MAGA then who cares? It's America first and only America first, right? Who cares about the Chinese.

4. benshive macrumors regular

What? I know Apple gets political at times but do you think that Tim Cook is a politician? I don't think it's his job to publicly address every humanitarian crisis in the world.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

The entire consumer electronics world relies on Shenzhen. Capitalism only allows for political stances from companies that don’t break the global supply chain, don’t expect much from any tech company in this regard.

7. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

This?

Millions of jobs are being lost in China to other non-Tariffed countries. Thousands of companies are leaving. Of course China wants to make a deal. Let them work humanely with Hong Kong first!” the US president tweeted.

“I have ZERO doubt that if President Xi wants to quickly and humanely solve the Hong Kong problem, he can do it,” he said in a subsequent tweet, suggesting a “personal meeting” with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping.

US lawmakers and officials have issued statements of support for the protests, Trump has remained neutral, referring to the demonstrations as “riots” and an internal matter for Beijing.

On Tuesday, he said the situation in Hong Kong was “tricky” but hoped it would be resolved “for liberty” without anyone getting hurt or killed.

Wow. Are you sure it wasn't too strong a condemnation? I remember that the right took President Obama to task for not wholeheartedly standing behind the protesters in Iran. Trump just wants his "deal".

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Why would he condemn something that hasn't happened? So far, it's protestors vs. police, like we see in the US and other countries (France) often. At this very moment it is mostly an internal struggle without humanitarian tragedies. I side by the HK protestors big time, but anything more, and anything close to an official condemnation of a protest would immediately become a US interference in internal unrest that would immediately justify a hard Chinese reaction due to the foreign interference.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Tim Cook dare not speak out against his Chinese overlords.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

11. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Not condemn. But he could make clear that any overwhelming violence by the police or army (like Tiananmen) would seriously hurt relations with the US. A more supportive attitude of the protesters would help. Referring to them as "riots" doesn't.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

He did.
    “I have ZERO doubt that if President Xi wants to quickly and humanely solve the Hong Kong problem, he can do it” is a very strong warning statement.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if protest started out here against the GOVT , how would you feel if say Russia made the same demands?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2019 ---
    come'on, trump should have mentioned nukes so the libs can say how unstable he is.............

14. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Totally different political systems (China & US) so I can't really answer. The likelihood of anti-government protests on the scale of HK happening here is very unlikely. And the Russkies, through outlets like RT, do make statements against US policy regularly. Given the source, I ignore it.

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

MSNBC will probably mention that they found a secret dog whistle to get the nukes fired up

16. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

That statement is hardly a "warning". Just an opinion.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

don't be so sure.

18. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Always the contrarian. Fine, dream on.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

No, it's not an opinion. You have to read it in the negative.
    It's saying, quite bluntly, that if something that does not meet the "humanely" criteria happens, the President of the United States of America will consider the President of the Republic of China - hence, the country - directly responsible because of his (Xi's) personal choice ("wants" "can do it").

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

dude, it would be a blood bath and it's not a dream, it's a freaking nightmare any way it gets sliced. still things do happen from time to time.

21. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Sorry, I just don't read it that way. Trump talks like he's a mob boss. Gee, it would be a shame if something happened to your country. My point is that, as president, he needs to speak more clearly and directly.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It's a fine line because the risk is giving the impression to the protesters (and thus the Chinese gov't) that the US is open to the idea of providing material support should things go awry. It would immediately legitimize the Chinese to commit a slaughter. The Chinese have to make the mistake first, then the US can act for real.

23. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I was trying to come up with some scenario where disruption on this scale would happen here. The only one I could come up with was if Trump lost the election and then decided to put out that the election was "rigged" and that he's not leaving. :)

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

In the US the similar scenario would be more distributed, it wouldn't be in a single city and it would cause a strain between several local governments vs. the federal government . At least that's how I see it, then who knows, tomorrow NYC secedes... :)

25. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Nobody is talking about giving material support to the protesters. The Chinese need to be told, in no uncertain terms, that slaughtering people in HK is going to adversely affect their relations with the developed world.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2019 ---
    Or Texas. You've been threatening to do it longer than we have. :)