Where or which brand is a good place to buy/order optibay and SSD from?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobo911, Mar 13, 2011.

1. bobo911 macrumors newbie

I'm using the late 2008 unibody macbook pro(the first unibody version) and I have decided to keep mine for a little longer. So I have decided to do the optibay modification to mine. So where do you recomend I order it form, is the OWC good; or are there other brands recommended?

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I recommend OWC :)

OCZ is a shady company and Intel is reliable but it's not as good as the SandForce drives in performance.

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Each drive has its own pros and cons. I went with Intel because it was the most consistant in terms of reliability. Most people aren't going to notice the difference in speeds.

4. rebby macrumors 6502

Yeah, if you want SSD info just do a search. Seems to be a pseudo-religion around here on what SSD is the best match for a MBP. Personally, I've got a Samsung in mine. Primary reason for that is that I can get an OEM version of the MZ-5PA256 (256GB) Samsung for about $350. With today's SSD prices, that's a hard drive to pass up.

As for the Optibay, I went with an Ebay model w/the MBP screw mounts. It's worked great for me.

5. Medravi macrumors newbie

No pun intended.

6. rebby macrumors 6502

I hadn't noticed that. Nice... ;)

7. Coburn macrumors newbie

Coburn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

OWC's drives are great, but if you do decide on that, call to order so that you can get the older firmware so you don't have to deal with the hibernating issue in new firmwares. Ive seen a lot of problems with the intel 510 drives, so you may want to stay away from those and as said before, OCZ is shady. Also I know that with OWC, you can get an SSD, data doubler (their optibay), and tool kit bundled.

8. Tamasi macrumors member

What firmware version should one opt for?

9. xexets macrumors newbie

Hi, just a note off my experience.
    I have your same Macbook Pro model.
    I used OCZ Vertex 2 120gb, worked a charm for 5 months then, all of a sudden it was dead.
    RMA is pretty good, got the replacement, dead in less than 2 hours. Liaising now to get it through RMA again.
    Finally I am buying and OWC.
    I don't know if it is a compatibility problem or if I have just been unlucky. Though, given the high rating of the OWC SSDs I would no longer go for OCZ.