where should I buy a no commitment at&t iphone5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krimonstar, Sep 26, 2012.

1. krimonstar, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

krimonstar macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a at&t no commitment iphone 5 as it is said to be unlocked. I will use my tmobile sim card on it. The question is where should I go for it? ATT retail store or apple retail store? r they both selling the att no contract i5? if so, is there any difference between the iphones from these two shops?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

It's a bit tricky now that Apple has the reservation system in place. They aren't selling non-contract phones through that site for now. You can try to see if an Apple retail store has them in stock, but it will be less likely since most phones will be reserved for the in store pickup system.

You can try an AT&T store, but be aware that the phone will initially be locked to AT&T. You can request AT&T to unlock the phone, but that takes a few days.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532#fbid=PqNj5AqK1um

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apple Store will not sell no commitment iPhone5 yet.

4. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Why does everyone keep saying this. All you have to do is put in your information and then say you want to replace your current phone with the iPhone 5. At the next screen it will tell you you have to pay full retail and as long as you are cool with that you can do it.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Most of the phones are reserved for the online in-store pickup system, which unfortunately doesn't let you reserve a no-commitment phone.

6. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

That is only the case if you don't already have a Verizon/ATT/Sprint account. You can buy full retail if you have an account with any of these companies.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Not if you qualify for any kind of upgrade pricing.

8. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Ok I have no idea what you mean so I will just explain myself. If you have an att account you can make a reservation for a no commitment iphone 5 using your number and info. You just have to pay retail. If you don't have an att/verizon/sprint phone you have no way of making a reservation so you can't buy the phone no commitment.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

If you have an existing account, it asks you for your phone number and account password. If you are eligible for upgrade pricing, that's the only price it offers you on Apple's site. Yes, you can order from your carrier's website at no-commitment pricing, but not from Apple's site if you are eligible for upgrade pricing. People have tried it.

This year the process is different from last year. You actually pay for the phone when you reserve it online and then simply pick it up the next day. Last year you just "reserved" it and paid for it in the store.

10. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

That is not true. You can buy device only from the Apple Store. The Apple Store 5th ave gives out in store purchase ticket at 6am. They're allowing 2 phones per purchase.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, and when you get to the store to pick it up you tell them you dont dont want to buy it under contract with an upgrade and you want to pay full price instead.
    People have been doing it at Apple stores and AT&T stores and when you restore those iphone 5's they give you the congradulations message.
    Even though Apple hasnt started selling them officially factory unlocked phones purchased full price and without a contract agreement are unlocked.

12. avirambn macrumors newbie

So can I come at around 6am, get a ticket (outside the store, right?), and then buy a "device only" iPhone 5 when the store opens?
    Has anyone done this and can confirm or give additional details? Thanks

13. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I got there Saturday at 6am and the line went from the store at 5th Avenue to the next avenue over. They gave out tickets enough for 1/3rd of the line then let everyone know they were out of tickets so people would leave the line. It would be better to arrive several hours earlier if you don't mind waiting in line for a few hours. They are allowing 2 phone purchases per person.