Where to buy a cheap (i.e. just superseded) Macbook in the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ascender, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

I was going to buy my wife a new Macbook in the US next week, but as the recent update is very minor, I was thinking I should just buy her one of the models which have just been superseded.

So, does anyone know where I can get one of these Macbooks? I'm assuming the Apple Store just sells the new ones immediately, so where do the old ones go?

Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Edit: Just noticed that its still the old ones up on the UK Store, but I guess that'll be changing soon.

Thank,

Mike.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

John Lewis, apple stores (if you ask nicely they may discount it), the refurb section.

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

So does old stock also go in to the Refurb section?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Processor-wise it's minor but I thought the new graphics card was much improved?

For all you'll get off the Clearance models, I'd suggest going for the new one out in the US.

If you're travelling, you might also want to check Dixons Duty Free since they have some pretty good deals on Mac portables.

5. calculus Guest

calculus

It's always worth keeping an eye on John Lewis if there is one near you ...

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'd be willing to sell my couple-of-weeks-old, tip-top-condition, Leopard installed Macbook (the middle option) for £710, PM me if you're interested :)

With it you would get an Apple remote (still in plastic, as it is unused) all the cabling etc. iLife 08 on the Tiger disks and an UpToDate Leopard disk. There is 3 years AppleCare too...

7. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

The graphics card isn't too important for the sort of work my wife does on it.

Looking at the middle Macbook....

UK: £829

US: $1299

So the US price is about £650 + the 10% sales tax (approx) which makes it about £100 cheaper than the UK, so its not actually that much cheaper.

How do the Dixons Tax Free shops work? Is it as simple as taking the UK price minus the VAT or is there a catch? That might be the cheapest and easiest option tbh.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Conveniently, you can check the prices online before you fly and reserve it. Pay for it on the outbound leg and then pick it up when you fly back into the UK. :D

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

Various resellers sometimes offer a discount on older stock and they're always worth checking out.