Where to buy an iPad, UK, Portugal or Japan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by abriwin, Jun 29, 2010.

1. abriwin macrumors member

I live in Portugal where the iPad is not currently available. At the end of July I will be travelling to London and in September I will be visiting Japan.

Should I try to buy my iPad from an Apple Store in the UK assuming they have stock. Wait till they become available in Portugal. Or wait till I go to Japan? (will it be any cheaper in Japan?)

If I do the latter will I be able to transfer all the apps I have on my iPod Touch to the iPad without the use of my MacBook G4 which for weight reasons will not be travelling with me?

Thanks

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

You can get one from the Apple Store in the UK if you really want to buy an iPad here and now, but my suggestion would be to wait.

I'm assuming that the warranty on iPads are similar to iPhones, in the sense that if something goes wrong with your iPad, you will need to ship it back to the original location of purchase. Therefore, instead of being able to get it repaired locally, it would have to be sent back to the UK to be fixed, and then sent back. Japan would be even farther.

In addition, if you were to get a WiFi only model, there would be no issue. However, if you want a 3G model, I'd imagine the data plan might be an issue, since you're in Portugal. That's something to look into, although I'm not too sure of the specifics.

If you do the latter, you would still need to sync your iPad to a computer with your iTunes account. Perhaps the people at the Apple Store would be willing to help you sync your iPod touch to their laptops, and then to the iPad?

Hope this helps.

3. abriwin thread starter macrumors member

I know its a tricky question

but thanks for your suggestions. I think perhaps I will book a genius slot at a place local to where I will stay in London. Leaving it until they will be available here in Portugal looks like leaving it a bit late and buying one in Japan looks risky if as you say anything goes wrong with it.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

I don't believe this is the case: the iPad's warranty is international, so can be taken to any Apple Store for a repair or replacement.

Get one asap! ;-)

5. abriwin thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to get one asap to tinker with before I go away. They are not available here in Portugal until??? Getting one in the UK seems like folks are waiting for them, so I might well wait till I arrive in Japan and get one in Osaka or Kyoto.

6. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

PC World have stock in stores in the UK and so do the Apple Store (from time to time!) so I wouldn't rule out being able to get hold of one.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

If you are wanting the 3G version, I probably wouldn't buy it in japan.

You can download the apps you want from the app store without paying again, so that is the only way to get it added until you get back to your computer running at least 10.5.

8. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

If you can't wait until it is available in Portugal, then grab one in the UK - by purchasing one in the EU you have better recourse in the event that something goes wrong. For example, in the unlikely event that you were directed to take up your issue with the retailer, then the UK isn't that far afield, they speak (a form of) English and are bound by EU laws which makes everything a bit more transparent, in contrast to dealing with a Japanese retailer who is likely not fluent in English (let alone Portugese), is quite a distance away and all their legal mumbo jumbo is in Japanese.

Plus if you buy one in Japan you may have to pay duties upon arrival in the EU (rarely happens, but you never know).

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you want to use 3G in Japan, you must purchase in Japan from Softbank. No exceptions as of today. Who knows, this might change in the near future ... and I'll leave it at that.

Note, a Japanese purchased iPad will work outside of Japan with a locally purchased micro-SIM such as from AT&T in the US.

------------------------------

OP, re-reading your post, it looks like you will be in Japan a short time. Since you will be a visitor, you probably will not be able to purchase a 3G unit due to the paperwork/ID's required to do so.

Might be best to wait until they are available in your home country if you want a 3G version.

10. Acas macrumors newbie

Meaning visitor can buy WIFI version?I'm planning to get one in japan this month end