Where to buy an old copy of Cubase

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BigRed1, Jan 28, 2016.

1. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I have several old projects that I would like to finish that were recorded in Cubase SX 1 on PowerPC. I had Cubase SX 1.06 running really well until I stupidly plugged the dongle into a usb hub that fried it. I never registered Cubase and have long since lost the serial number, so Steinberg isn't going to help me out. I haven't found a copy for sale anywhere. I don't want to get a new version because I'm also not going to have the current versions of the VST plugins I used at the time and it may not even open these old programs. Any suggestions?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just wondering, won't these older projects import into newer versions of Cubase?

I have old audio projects created on Cubase LE 1.x and version LE 4.x that can still be opened using Cubase AI5, AI/LE8, etc.

If you have a current version of Cubase installed, you might be able to double-click the ".cpr" file and open the project (or at least most of it).

If you just need audio parts, you might be able to "manually migrate" old audio pieces into a new project...

3. BigRed1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought I saw a chart about what the new versions would open and it didn't include SX 1 files. I switched over to logic when I upgraded to an Intel machine, so this was the last version of Cubase I had.

I'm also not sure I can justify the price of the new version of Cubase simply to access these old songs.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I believe Steinberg permits you to download the latest version of Cubase as a fully-functional demo for a period of 30 days or so.

Would this give you enough time to access the old projects, perhaps export what you needed out of them?

5. BigRed1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that suggestion, and I actually tried that. Unfortunately I think I may have previously tried a demo and it basically won't let me try again. Perhaps I can set up a new user account and see if that would let me run the demo or set up a new system on a bootable external drive and see if I can run it that way.