Where to buy and best way to configure ram.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by APPL, Jun 25, 2007.

1. APPL macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I'm running a new MP (2x2.66Ghz) with 2x512mb of ram. I'm looking at getting more ram, I don't want to spend too much, but with that said, I don't want my CS3 apps to be sluggish whilst listening to iTunes in Leopard when it arrives.

So I'm assuming I can still use the 2 apple 512 sticks but what's this Quad memory channel support thing? And what would be the best configuration?

Also, anyone know if there are any Australian stores that sell MP ram or any international stores that ship down under?

Thanks guys.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hi Appl

It's generally worth it to try a Search through the Forums first, we have covered MacPro RAM many times.

Quad channel access is when you have the same RAM across 4 sockets -1&2 of Riser A, 1&2 of Riser B. This provides a marginal boost in RAM access bandwidth, as the machine can write 256 bits wide rather than 128 bits wide for Dual Channel and 64 bits wide for single channel. The gains in real world speed are more theoretical than they are practical, so don't sweat it if you can't afford four identical RAM Modules at a go.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com