Where to buy decent quality off brand iPad charger and sync cables

Discussion in 'iPad' started by salilsundresh, Jul 20, 2011.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Does anyone know where I can pick up some decent quality 10w iPad chargers and sync cables for cheap? The iPad charger I got on eBay had a loose USB port, didn't consistently charge any of my devices and made this weird high pitched noise when plugged in. The cables I have purchased get shredded quickly. I broke 2 of them by just briefly tripping on them. The wires came out of the connector.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And please Apple fanboys/girls: I understand Apple sells their charger for $30+tax but it doesn't make sense for someone to pay this (unless they need it urgently I supose) when in the past I was able to get a perfectly respectable iPhone charger for $3 including shipping/tax.

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

I personally just leave my charger at home where I charge it overnight, and I bought a couple of cables off ebay for about £3 each and leave one at work where I can charge from USB using ASUS Ai Charger

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

It does make sense when you consider that if your charger fries your device, Apple will not replace it since you used a third party charger. IMHO, this is being penny-wise pound-foolish - you're letting $25 possibly negate your warranty coverage on a $600 device.

How will Apple know? If you go in for a fried device, they will ask for the charger before they assess the situation. We learned the hard way, as we did use a knock-off charger, so Apple would not honor the warranty.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This won't happen. Lithium-ion batteries have complex monotering circuits that will only allow the correct amount of current to the batteries. Also Apple is already fudging the USB spec so you won't find any chargers that surpass Apple's.

5. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Sync cables can be found at Monoprice.com for a very reasonable price.

Chargers, on the other hand, I'm not sure. I got a Cyber Power travel charger that includes two USB ports and three standard plugs for $17 at Wal-Mart.

[​IMG]

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

It did happen to my iPhone, so I'm not sure how you'd explain that plus just Google iPhone/iPod/iPad charger fried, you'll see lots of similar posts.

7. Miss Minerva macrumors newbie

Alternate iPad charge/sync cable...

I bought this one:

https://store.griffintechnology.com/3meter-usb-dock-cable

I got it at an Apple store because I needed it fast, but if you shop around online a bit you can get it (relatively) cheap; I saw it on one site for $14.99.

It's nearly 10 feet long, and much sturdier than the cable that comes with Apple products. The end that plugs into the device is a bit bulkier though, and might not work with all cases.

I felt comfortable with it since clearly Apple endorses it, and it's been recommended here quite a few times.