Where to buy iMac RAM in South Africa?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thomas223, Aug 14, 2012.

1. thomas223 macrumors member

Hi

I'm planning or purchasing 2 additional 4gb RAM modules for my mid 2011 27" i5 iMac. I'm from South Africa so I was wondering if there are any other SA based users on this forum who might be able to recommend some options.

I made use of the crucial ram advisor tool but they don't seem to ship to SA. And I found the following product on the 'take a lot' website but I'm not sure if it's the exact same product:

http://www.takealot.com/imports/mor...sodimm-ddr3-pc3-10600-memory-modul,b003dzjqqi

If you know of any online or retail stores that sell compatible ram, could you please let me know.

Thanks!

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hi,

Where in SA are you?

Rectron has this RAM and I am sure most PC stores could order it, too. It doesn't have to be Apple specific memory - as long as it's DDR 3 10600 204 pin memory, it will work.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Agree with your point... however i would recommend branded ram and the one you were looking at seems fine, others brands like Hynx and Kingston are good too. Btw have you tried amazon or ebay?

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Good point. Dont buy cheap ram either. As above Kingston and Hynx is fine

5. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for the info. I'm from Pretoria but I work in Jhb. . Although I can't buy directly from Rectron. I'll give Rectron a call tomorrow and ask them to send me the contact details of a few Pta / Jhb based resellers.

----------

Yes, I've been told Hynix is very good. Do you perhaps know where I can get Hynix in SA? Or is it easier to order Hynix memory online?

I haven't looked on Amazon. The last time i checked, they didn't accept any orders from SA. Have they changed their policy lately or are there alternative shipping options?

----------

Thanks, will do.

Btw, I checked the ram inside my imac. It's made by Elpida.

6. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

How about Sahara or Axis, I remember them selling to joe public

7. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Lol, thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

8. MACza macrumors member

Hi Thomas

I bought the additional RAM for my mid-2011 iMac from www.cyberdyne.co.za

They have what they call "Apple certified/tested" (or some such) RAM that I purchased.

Haven't had any issues and the price was reasonable. They are in Gauteng (as am I) and they delivered to my work place at no extra cost. Was pretty happy with the price and service.

Maybe add them to your list to check and good luck!

9. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

If you don't come right, I can order from Rectron for you?

10. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, Thanks. I called them and they said that they don't sell directly to the public. They referred me to the reseller sybaritic website where I can buy their product. They sell the supertalent RAM and it's supposedly tested on the iMac.

My only problem right now is that I currently have 2 open slots and I don't know if i should buy 2x4GB or 2x8GB. The apple website says that my machine can only use at most a 4GB module in each slot while the Crucial website says I can use an 8GB module in each slot. Do any of you guys have a mid 2011 iMac with single 8GB modules?

----------

Thanks for the offer! i assume if you order it from Rectron then it will probably also be cheaper than buying it from a reseller?

What make of RAM do they sell and what are they asking for it? Are you also currently using it in your iMac? I'd just like to check that it'll work in the iMAC.

I'd be more than willing to pay you extra for your time and effort.

11. MACza macrumors member

O no, that sux! So they not selling to the public anymore? Tsk, that's a pity - they normally had some OK prices and good service. Oh well, time to source a better alternative :mad:

12. thomas223 thread starter macrumors member

hehe, thanks anyway