All iPads Where to buy iPad opening day w/o sales tax?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Honza, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Honza macrumors member

Does Amazon have stock opening day? Any other places to buy without sales tax?

Or, where do you prefer to buy?

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

www.bhphotovideo.com
    No sales tax, but have to order over the phone. No idea if they will have launch day stock, you could call them.

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Deleware has no sales tax, other than that I think everywhere charges tax.

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

New Hampshire doesn't either. (Nor should Montana, Oregon and Alaska I read online.)

5. thewordiz macrumors member

Delaware Apple Store in Christiana no taxes

no one likes to pay taxes. But if you are feverishly shopping to save on taxes, maybe you should not be spending $700+ dollars on a shiney new precious.

just a thought-not the burning bush.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes, drive to Montana to wait in line. That'll be worth to save the sales tax.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Nah - they are trying to do what corporations(like Apple) and rich guys do all the time: "Avoid" taxes whenever possible. I didnt say evade, just avoid. Huge difference. I always try and pay less in tax whenever possible in any way I can. Anyone not doing this is throwing money away....which is the same as handing it to our Govt. ;)

8. Honza thread starter macrumors member

So then, people who try to save money are poor? And by posting an innocent question that took 10 seconds I am "feverishly shopping to save money on taxes"? And you are also assuming that I am spending "$700+" dollars on an iPad, which assumes I am not in the majority who buy the lower models.

On the other hand, I did like your reference to Gollum, which earns you points regardless.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Except if he does live in California per his listed location, than it would be tax evasion. He would still be responsible for the sales (or use) tax regardless of where he bought it from. :D

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Hmmm - yeah, in NYS Im supposed to enter a dollar value for all internet purchases on our tax return. Luckily I never buy anything online so the amount is always $0 dollars :)

I still call it tax "avoidance" ;)

11. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

This is where I bought the last one...but not sure whether the new ones will be available on day one!!!

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

i doubt it
    this is a small physical store in NYC run by hassidic Jews. Nice store even though i hate it, but i doubt they will have it on launch day.

13. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

You do realize it is a legal obligation to pay sales tax in a state that collects it right?

If you order on amazon.com and do not pay tax, you must report and pay the tax if your state collects sales tax.

If you buy an item in a state with no or less sales tax in your state, you must pay the difference in sales tax.

If you want to "avoid" sales tax as you say, move to a state that does not collect sales tax.

----------

Most stuff arrives at B&H long after it officially goes on sale, unless its a video camera or digital SLR camera.

14. lolwatpear macrumors member

Sorry, what? You got it the wrong way. Taxes are bad on big priced items, and not too horrible only low priced items. Circumventing taxes on a $300+ item is big savings.

15. Honza thread starter macrumors member

I do realize this. So you keep track of all your use tax transactions for the year and report them on your taxes? About 1.6% of people in the 45 states that collect use tax actually report those taxes. I'm not saying that they aren't at fault, but acting holier than thou and surprised that I'm doing what 98% of what the population does is a bit of a jerk move.

16. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

MacMall?