where to buy MBP (releasing on Feb 24th 2011) with no sales tax

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ansabakhan, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i need to buy a MBP for a friend to send it overseas ...i am in New York.. is there any place (authorized dealer) i can order the latest macbook pro from where they don't charge sales tax for New York?

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

amazon charge sales tax in NY

4. badmoth macrumors newbie

Do you ever make your way to Boston? If so, there's an Apple store in Nashua's Pheasant Lane mall just across the border in Nashua, New Hampshire. No sales tax in NH. It's a hell of a long way though if you weren't going to be in Boston anyway.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Sad you are in NY. If you have a friend outside of NY then consider B&H Photo in NY. They have BTO models on MBP's, free shipping and no tax if shipped outside of NY.

B&H and Amazon are two of my favorite places to shop.

Another pseudo solution is a Microcenter store in northern NJ. Their location lets them charge only 3.5% sales tax and they have been known to have incredible deals on some base Mac models. I bought a late 2009 MB from them for only $799 and a 13"base 2010 MBP from them for only $999 plus 3.5% tax - these specials have always been for pickup only. About a 10 -15 minute drive from the GW Bridge. I live in NJ and those deals made it worth my while.

6. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i am around 124 miles from this store.... maybe its worth the drive ..if i am getting a system which is $2k ( we dont know the pricing yet as its not out)

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so you buy online and drive to pick up?

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Yes and No. You place an order to reserve your computer online using a credit card that is not billed. They send you an email confirmation within 20 minutes. Once you have the email confirmation you print it out. They will hold your computer, or whatever you reserved, for about 2 days and if you don't pick it up then everything clears out - you are not obligated or charged. This helps when supplies are limited. Then, take the printout with you and when you get to the store just got to the pickup area and hand them your email. They will have the product waiting for you on the shelf and then you pay for it. Saves a lot of time when you get to the store - like electronics takeout. Everything at that location is only 3.5% tax.

I bought two Mac from them and 2TB hard drive from them at great prices. At the moment it looks like the 13" Base is only $1,099 ($100 instant savings) and open box models are only $989. I would expect that price to drop in a week or two as the new MBP's will be announced tomorrow.

9. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks ill look into it when we have the new one's out

10. LoganT macrumors 68020

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

They charge sales tax - Tax Rate - In accordance with state and local law, your MacMall order will be taxed using the applicable sales tax or seller's use tax rate for your shipping address. If the tax rate changes before your purchase is shipped, the rate in effect at the time your order ships will apply.

See policy here
    http://www.macmall.com/n/Payment-And-Pricing/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.160

12. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same thing. i am in Texas so seems like Amazon is a perfect option for me. I guess what I was wondering is if they will have the new machines on day one, assuming its Thursday. I have never bought a Mac on the first day it was released. So wasn't sure if I would have to wait a week before Amazon is shipping them.

13. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

lucky you ! being in NY amazon is not an option for 'no tax'

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Cost Central
    http://www.costcentral.com/

15. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i dont know about macconnection.com 's sales tax in NY, but i think there is no sales tax in CA.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Ditto on NH purchases. Though I don't know if you're willing to make the drive there just for a computer.