Where to buy off contract 3g/Can 3g be used prepaid/post paid no contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, Nov 22, 2008.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Iphone V1 needs replacing, currently using $39 prepaid option, can I use the same plan for 3g? How about the go phone option? I'm not against a contract so much as being locked in for 2 years to a phone...who knows what might come along next.

Where is the best place to (safely) purchase?

I found Qbelam.com which says 3g 16gb for $369, some canadian company. Comes up as first (sponsored) result if you google iphone 3g unlocked.

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The contract is the 2yr commitment, there is no way around that. $369 for a phone that cost 300 with a 2yr contract sounds fishy.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is about as trustworthy as ordering penis enlarging pills over the internet. :rolleyes:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081118132337AAc90Er

(Although Yahoo Answers is almost equally useless, they're right in this case.)

Unlocked iPhones exist primarily in two forms -- ones purchased legally in a country such as Hong Kong where this is available, and iPhones unlocked using TurboSIMs. The former are on the market, but you have to look carefully, and expect to pay $500-700 -- not $369. The latter is something you generally do for yourself after buying an iPhone.

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

why in the world would you trust a company like this?