Where to buy phone to hold over til October?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by detroiter :P, Jul 20, 2013.

1. detroiter :P macrumors newbie

I am switching jobs and now need to get my own personal phone in the next few weeks. I am going to sign up for Verizon for the coverage but want to wait for the upgrade for the 5S in October-ish.

Should I buy a used 4S on craiglist, then sell in a couple months after I have bought the new phone? What are good, cheap phones or a good place to buy a cheap phone and then sell.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!! :apple:

2. twoehr macrumors member

You would still have to sign up for service now and sign a 2 year contract when the 5s comes out. Hopefully you won't be required to have some contract term with the initial sign-up, but you'll be paying a the "subsidy premium" each month for nothing until the 5s comes out.

I'd suggest either using a disposable phone between now and the 5s release, or look at options available from a more "customer friendly" provider, like T-Mobile or Virgin, that may give you the option to establish yourself and not "over pay" until you have to.

3. iamgalactic macrumors regular

why would they need a 2 year contract? surely the OP can just buy the phone outright?

that's what my partner and I do now - it works out cheaper in the long run to buy the phone and sign up for a cheaper tariff with service provider (at least it works out cheaper in the UK)

any old phone would do for now - you can pick up a 4 pretty cheap if it's just temporary (i'm still using my 4 whilst waiting on the 5S)

4. twoehr macrumors member

That is why I suggested looking at Virgin or T-Mobile. If you select AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint there isn't an option to not pay the "subsidy" built-in to the monthly rates. The only way it makes sense to use them is to sign a 2 year deal and get a discounted phone. (At least here in the US.)