Where to buy PowerPC and vintage Macs in the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacsChampion, Jun 1, 2014.

1. MacsChampion macrumors newbie

I cannot find a store here that sell PowerPC and vintage Macs. On eBay there are not many vintage ones. The PPC Macs - a lot of listings on eBay are faulty ones, and the iBook for example, most of them are from the US and other countries instead of here (it's like the iBook was never sold in the UK market). I've tried Gumtree which does have a decent some, but it doesn't have any listings for the iMac G3 for example. I've gone to a car boot sale too but never saw a Mac (only PCs).

Does anyone know of a vintage/used Mac store in the south east/London? I'd really be looking forward to it.

2. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I'm in South London, but I don't think you'll find a 'store' specifically selling vintage Macs. Your best bet is probably the places you're already looking. eBay would be your best option, every now and then the one your looking for will eventually come up in a search listing.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. wordsworth macrumors regular

Try The Powerbook Fanatic (www.powerbookfanatic.co.uk). He has some clamshell iBooks listed, and some Pismos. He may have other laptops from the PowerPC era that aren't listed yet.

Otherwise I would just keep checking eBay. Persistence usually pays off.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

I got a couple of old-style 23" Apple Cinema HD displays from Gumtree (typically, I'd been looking for second-hand 1920x1200 monitors for a while and ended up with another monitor from ebay at the same time).

Old Apple computers do turn up on Gumtree. You could try a Wanted advert to speed things up.

6. MacsChampion thread starter macrumors newbie

That link doesn't work, so a search in Bing found it at www.pbfanatic.co.uk. However at the bottom it says (C) 2001-2006, and on the Laptops page it's (C) 2001-2008. This shows that the website hasn't been updated since. :confused:

They have ZERO stock on PPC Macs, be it desktop or laptop. :(

7. mikeoc macrumors member

8. receiveyoues macrumors newbie

good,Old Apple computers do turn up on Gumtree. You could try a Wanted advert to speed things up. thanks[​IMG]

9. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

eBay is your best bet for good quality stuff, boxed etc.

Not used Gumtree but should throw up something now and again, Craiglist maybe?

You won't find a store though :(

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've never bought from them, but PowerMax has been around forever always has a pretty decent PPC selection

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The OP does not have access to the marketplace (people need 250 posts to access the MP), so he cannot see your thread.

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Ah. Good point.

If it's allowed, then a similar thread on a different forum, should be publicly accessible.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1226119