where to find the BEST DEAL on iMac late 2009 16 GB RAM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ansabakhan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i am in market to upgrade RAM from 4GB to 16 GB on my refurb iMac which i bought early this year , not too good with finding correct ram and a good price .. please help.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It looks like you have to buy pairs. Which would mean you have 2x2GB right now. So those will have to be tossed out.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/DDR3_21.5_27

That's the cheapest I found but I also didn't look terribly hard. Assuming that's your iMac, it'll run you about $417. They do buy old RAM though so it looks like if you send it to them they'll give you $50 back. Not sure how much your 2x2GB would go for on the market though so you might consider eBaying that.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

Thank you ! what is the difference in OWC and NuRam? they both are covered for life on failure ... is there any difference in performance as one is $487 and other is $417

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The difference between different companies' ram modules is negligible. By default, apple uses samsung ram modules in the iMac, so other lesser known ram brands won't make a difference.

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so i shouldn't worry about brand too much that means?

is $417 good price for 16 GB ?

6. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1

As long as it's spec'd for your iMac and carries a lifetime warranty like the OWC modules do. I've bought from them before and had no problems with the RAM I got.

I just ordered a pair of NuRams this morning to get up to 12GB. With the buy-back rebate, the cost for me is $169.

$417 is an excellent price with the rebate. The closest is Corsair at $198 and KomputerBay at $195 per 8GB kit.