Where to get AWS LTE iPhone 5 in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timidhermit, Apr 6, 2013.

1. timidhermit macrumors regular

The US is rolling update for AWS LTE for compatible iPhone 5.

Is this rollout being done in Canada too?

Is there a particular "version" of iPhone 5 I need to buy to qualify for this update in Canada? I ask because there are different versions or flavors of iPhone 5 covering different LTE bands.

Is this a NEW version/flavor with hardware differences or just software change to otherwise identical hardware?

2. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Apple will be releasing a new iPhone 5 to support the new AWS band. You might be able to buy an unlocked one in Canada after it is released to T-Mobile, but nobody knows as of yet.

Just have to wait and see if the model numbers are changed?

3. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

The model numbers haven't changed, unfortunately. This will make it harder to find one.

I am also on the hunt for an AWS iPhone 5 so that I can use it on WIND's network. WIND has said "stay tuned" for an announcement regarding the iPhone.

4. bozzykid macrumors 68020

After April 12th, you should be able to order one from the Apple Store. It will replace the current unlocked iPhone 5. In the stores, it is yet to be seen how fast they will replace their stock but they will no longer be manufacturing the non-AWS version.

5. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Yes, but I'm not sure if that April 12th date is for the US only. I have a feeling that if I were to walk in an Apple store that date, I'd get the old version that isn't compatible with WIND's network. I also doubt that the Geniuses there will know about it.

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Thats why I said you may have to order from the Apple Store online. It isn't clear even in the US when the Apple Stores will bring in the new model.

7. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

Any way to tell from the box which is the AWS version (for Canada)? If I have to resort to order online, can telltale sign also to check?

This is tricky. Is this a hardware chipset difference then? If so, how come the T-Mobile users in the US can just get a software carrier update without any hardware change?

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

No one knows just yet how the packaging will be different. We will have to wait until April 12th to find out. I'm assuming Apple will update their website to note the update however.

9. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

It's the firmware that Apple is updating in the factories. There is no hardware difference between the models.

The T-Mobile update is a carrier update; it enabled certain features for current T-Mobile iPhone users. It didn't update an AWS frequency in current iPhone 5s.