Where to get/how to install/can I get RAM for a Macbook (if I get one)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lil666jrkatz, Jan 16, 2008.

1. lil666jrkatz macrumors member

Hi,

I think I really want a white 2.2GHz Macbook. I have look on several seemingly legit websites and have found 2 sticks of 2GB memory for this computer for about 115 bucks. Is there a downside to having more RAM? Where should I be getting RAM for a Macbook? In theory, could I just get the 2.2GHz Macbook with only 1GB of memory, then remove the 1GB and put in the two new 2GBs? Is installing the RAM easy or do I need to take it to a store?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. BDK1022 macrumors newbie

More RAM is better. You can buy it at plenty of legit websites and deals come along fairly often (don't buy from Apple). Installing it is easy.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303721

There are also videos on youtube and whatnot if you want to see it done.

3. lil666jrkatz thread starter macrumors member

For lack of better words, WTF?!?! Apple's website says you can only have a maximum of 2 GB of RAM on your Macbook (1GB in each slot)!! Um, why can't you put two 2GB sticks of RAM in???

I need answers!:eek:

EDIT: Just went on wikipedia and it says that the 4th gen macbook (released late 2007) allows up to 4GB of RAM!!!!

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Ok, a dumb question for you, but what the hell - I got my MB in April 2007, so am I limited to a max of 3GB or can I go up to 4GB with no probs?

How can I see what Gen my MB is?

Any advice?

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Not the current MB, but the one before, can recognize or see 4GB of RAM. However, that generation could only use 3GB of RAM.

The current MBs (w/ SR chipset) can both see/ recognize and use 4GB of RAM.

I'm guessing you and I have the same MB as that's when I purchased mine. In that case, you can put 4GB of RAM in and it will "see" it, but you'll only ever be able to use 3GB of it.

:super late edit: OP, I am NOT tech-inclined, nor am I a great DIY, but even I successfully added RAM to my MB. :)

6. jne381 macrumors regular

I just bought 4GB of RAM for my brand new MacBook from crucial.com for $107. You may be able to find 4GB for less, but Crucial is a very well respected supplier of RAM.

It is easy to replace (many videos on the internet).
    Take out the battery
    unscrew 3 screws and remove an L shaped cover
    pull levers and grab RAM
    then put it all back together.

7. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

A Macbook SR (The new 2.2 model) can see and use 2x2GB sticks of RAM. The older model (C2D 2.16) Can see 4GB of RAM but the chipset can only use 3.3GB of the RAM.