Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello all, I could use some guidance, so i figured this would be a good place to find it as I have been a member of these forums for over 10 years.

I am currently an incoming senior in Computer Engineering, so I am beginning to gear up to find a job, or at least do the preliminary research and start applying as the new grad positions start to open up. My original plan before COVID was to only look in other places, such as Boston, Dallas/Houston, DC area, maybe Phoenix (I have lived in NC all of my life, and because I’m Jewish, I’m trying to look for a bigger community where I move.) Now, with COVID, I am beginning to reconsider these plans for several reasons.

1. I am currently working at a company as an intern that seems to emphasize that as long as you do good work, you’ll get a full time offer, even with COVID. I also love what I’m doing here and think it would be a great first job if I was to get a full time offer. I am also potentially going to be working for them part time in the fall/spring if the situation allows.

2. COVID has eliminated a lot of the job market for the time being, I know it will recover, but I’m not sure if it would be in enough time for me to secure a job in one of those locations by mid 2021.

3. Even though I have had 5 internships, the bulk of the jobs I am seeing in these places have a couple of years experience in order to be considered, this makes my options potentially more limited unless internships would count towards those years of experience.

4. I would want to make sure it would be safe for me to go out and make new friends, and I don’t know if I am being realistic with the timeframe anymore on when things will pick back up because of how badly the US is dealing with the pandemic.

Any guidance or advice. on what to do in this situation would be much appreciated!

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
There should be plenty of jobs available in the future. Based on what you said in point 1 I would look there for your immediate future. If you become unhappy there you could look elsewhere then. It is really important you like what you do. If you don’t like the job, no amount of other considerations can make up for it, and your performance will start to decline to the point your superiors will notice.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I’d stick where you’re at for the next 2-3 years. If it is true & you’ll get a FT offer, considering the “2yr experience” preference & unknowing nature of how the job market will pan out, it makes strategic sense to stay, acquire the FT option & work it for 2-3 years acquiring the experience minimum at which point the job market should settle down puting you in a prime position having the skillset to cherry pick your job of choice.

Last edited:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
If you can get a job from this internship, take it. Focus on stability early. Keep up-skilling as much as you can. Hone your skills. Learn how to work with people.
Then, once things are moving towards normal again start thinking about moving on if you want.
I’m nearing 40 and beginning a new career at the end of the year that is totally different from the jobs I’ve had. Keep examining what you want, take opportunities to travel and expand your interests. Don’t put yourself in a box.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Even though I have had 5 internships, the bulk of the jobs I am seeing in these places have a couple of years experience in order to be considered, this makes my options potentially more limited unless internships would count towards those years of experience.

Those are usually soft requirements. If they don't state otherwise, you can pretend an undergraduate degree is 1/2 time and an internship or graduate degree as full time. So 4 years of undergraduate + 2 summer internships means you're competitive for jobs asking for 2-4 years.

Some jobs, like government jobs, will even treat all college time as 1:1, so you might be considered for jobs asking for 5-6 years.

Last edited:

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Thank you for all the good advice everyone. I am leaning towards taking the job offer if I get it (I’ll know in a couple weeks.) It is just weird to have plans that i have had for multiple years thrown off like this, but I’m quickly learning thats life.

I also took a look at what hiring looks like right now across the country and even though engineering is a pretty stable job, the market looks pretty bad right now.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It is just weird to have plans that i have had for multiple years thrown off like this, but I’m quickly learning thats life.

"Everybody's got a plan until they get their first punch on the face."
-Mike Tyson
[automerge]1593614305[/automerge]
If you can get a job from this internship, take it. Focus on stability early. Keep up-skilling as much as you can. Hone your skills. Learn how to work with people.
Then, once things are moving towards normal again start thinking about moving on if you want.
I’m nearing 40 and beginning a new career at the end of the year that is totally different from the jobs I’ve had. Keep examining what you want, take opportunities to travel and expand your interests. Don’t put yourself in a box.

Good luck man! Enjoy the next voyage in your life.
Mandatory book recommendation: "So good they can't ignore you" by Cal Newport.

Reactions: TPadden

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
"Everybody's got a plan until they get their first punch on the face."
-Mike Tyson
[automerge]1593614305[/

Good luck man! Enjoy the next voyage in your life.
Mandatory book recommendation: "So good they can't ignore you" by Cal Newport.
[/automerge][/QUOTE]

I am definitely learning this is part of life, although I don’t think anyone alive has experienced something like this so its hard to figure out what path to take now.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Look into the big consulting firms computer engineering with internship experience is highly desired. Naming a few to look at Deloitte, EY, Accenture, Booz Allen. All should have recent graduate positions and are fairly flexible about where you live as long as its near an airport.I imagine you can start applying for those positions late summer and you can always jump into the big tech companies or banking from them as well after a year or two.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I am definitely learning this is part of life, although I don’t think anyone alive has experienced something like this so its hard to figure out what path to take now.
Anyone alive has experienced??? Turn off your TV and computer, go visit a homeless shelter (or almost any park or street corner). Covid will be way down on the "experience" worry list of anyone alive you actually talk to.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thank you for all the good advice everyone. I am leaning towards taking the job offer if I get it (I’ll know in a couple weeks.) It is just weird to have plans that i have had for multiple years thrown off like this, but I’m quickly learning thats life.
No specific advice from me, but it's a great skill to be flexible and adjust when needed that will serve you well throughout the rest of your life. Good to be learning it now.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Look into the big consulting firms computer engineering with internship experience is highly desired. Naming a few to look at Deloitte, EY, Accenture, Booz Allen. All should have recent graduate positions and are fairly flexible about where you live as long as its near an airport.I imagine you can start applying for those positions late summer and you can always jump into the big tech companies or banking from them as well after a year or two.

I actually have a friend that has worked at a couple of these companies, they seem to be on more of the consulting side of things rather than actual development.

Anyone alive has experienced??? Turn off your TV and computer, go visit a homeless shelter (or almost any park or street corner). Covid will be way down on the "experience" worry list of anyone alive you actually talk to.

Sorry, I think I misphrased what I mean, I was referring to the health/economic impact of covid in particular, not overall.

No specific advice from me, but it's a great skill to be flexible and adjust when needed that will serve you well throughout the rest of your life. Good to be learning it now.

Yes, I definitely agree, its not that I’m disappointed or letting it get me down, it was just unexpected, I am definitely open to being flexible with this uncertainty.

Reactions: TPadden

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
I actually have a friend that has worked at a couple of these companies, they seem to be on more of the consulting side of things rather than actual development.

You can do actual development work (I did) for about two years then it hit me I can retire with a pension from the Air Force in only 8 more years so I rejoined. Long term in both money and advancement the skills learned in consulting will get you further than pure development work if you play your cards right but I completely get wanting to do hands on work. At this point in my career its endless meetings and grand strategy with little actual work and I cant wait to just write code again.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

This is excellent advice, and I second it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.