Where to sell a macbook for the best resale (and least amount of hassle)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macnerd123, Nov 9, 2010.

1. macnerd123 macrumors regular

I want to sell my used black (2007) macbook with 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB of RAM, and a 160GB hard drive. It is in perfect condition. I was wondering where I could sell it and get the best price. I would rather not do auctions like eBay or Craigslist. What do you suggest? Thanks :D

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

your garage :cool:

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Ugh...
    You would get like 200-300 dollars at best... if you are lucky. But, this also depends on what condition your laptop is in.

4. VespaMatt macrumors member

Well how the heck do you expect to sell it if eBay or Craigslist are too much of a bother? You can see if some of the Mac resellers will buy it or at least give you a trade-in towards store credit, I bet they'll offer you $100 for it.

The quickest and fastest is Craigslist. I just sold my 12in Powerbook G4 and iPad on there. Both devices the people e-mailed me, I called them back, met them at Starbucks later that day and got cash on the spot.

eBay, because of the wider audience, might net you more money. All you'll have to do is stick it in a box and ship it. If you use USPS, you don't even have to drive to the post office - just print the label at home and hand it to the postman.

BTW I got $250 for the Powerbook, so you should be able to get $300+ I think.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Best selling price - ebay.
    Least hassle - trade in at your local Mac reseller.

Pick one, you can't have both.

6. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I am seeing Black MacBooks go for around $500 - $600 on eBay these days. They are pretty rare now since they were a limited run and Apple does not make them anymore.

8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Black ones do fetch more. That price will go down, despite limited availability, when new machines are released next year, so it's in your interest to sell ASAP once you've made that decision.

9. dborja macrumors 6502a

Any other sites I should consider aside from gazelle.com? I'm thinking of selling my 1st gen MBAir...

10. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

holy hell, i just checked how much they would pay for a perfect 11" macbook air. the calculation was $450! OUCH.

for your macbook (in perfect condition), gazelle.com offers $286. ebay buy-it-now's seem to be around $475 and up. so, is it worth losing $200? its up to you.

if i didn't view reselling as such a pain, i'd buy an 11 air right now and sell later to upgrade. i really, really want a laptop now, but i also really, really dread reselling.

i've gone through this in my head several times. i decided if i would resell, i'd just be very careful to follow all of ebay's rules, and restrict my auction to buyers with some minimum feedback requirements.

11. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

actually, i'm thinking the offer calculator on gazelle.com is a bit screwy.

the 11" air prices seem too low already, and it offers $285 for the latest 1.86 13" air. that's gotta be wrong.

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    tried that, hows $25 grab ya?:rolleyes:

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

Black MacBooks were in no way a limited production run. Apple didn't make as many black MacBooks as they did white MacBooks but that is because the white MacBooks were cheaper by $200. Just because fewer black MacBooks were made does not make them a limited production run.

14. amazonseller620 macrumors newbie

Amazon

Hop on Amazon and see what they're going for.

15. luked14 macrumors 6502

Best Buy trade in values are generally pretty reasonable.

16. dborja macrumors 6502a

Try Nextworth.com. Better prices and, so far, smooth transaction (I sold my older MBA)

17. Pr0digy Guest

I know this is an older post but i'm sure it still receives a good amount of views (that's how i found it through googling "where can i sell my mac"). You can list your Mac on AppleSerialNumberInfo.com, they don't grab commission and your Mac stays on the site for three months, worth a shot.

18. dustbuny macrumors newbie

You should try morecash4macbooks

they offered me more than any other place and they have perfect reviews

They also purchase liquid water damaged macbooks or cracked iphones too!

just a suggestion!!

19. inboxer macrumors regular

I'd recommend buybackworld to sell your macbook. Their trade in prices are high and they will send you a free shipping box and label. I've sold them a handful of older macbooks, iphones and a broken ipad with no issues. They paid me quickly through paypal.

20. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You guys know this thread is 3 1/2 years old.

21. onujpt macrumors newbie

I just sold my MacBook Pro to QualityMacs.com to upgrade to a new MacBook. They offered me a higher cash value than any other website I found and even an extra $100 if I was trading in mine toward the purchase of a new one. Excellent customer service, too. Hands down would do business with them again.