Where to unlock old AT&T 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doc69, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I have and old iPhone 3GS that is locked to AT&T. AT&T says that they can't unlock it since I don't know the phone number that was previously associated with the phone. Who is the best 3rd party I can turn to in order to have it unlocked? Online is best, otherwise I live in Los Angeles.

2. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I take it that you are not a current or former customer of AT&T.

The best thing to do is to find a friend on AT&T and them $20 to submit an unlock request here:

att.com/deviceunlock

You don't need the original phone number. You just need a previously activated SIM to activate the phone when you're store it to factory settings.

3. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually am an AT&T customer (but shortly moving to T-Mobile). But the att.com/deviceunlock page needs the number associated with the phone. And the iPhone I'm trying to activate was never on my account, so I don't know the number. And since it's an old iPhone, I don't have any regular sized SIM card to put in there either. I only have nano SIMs for 5 and 5S.

I talked to AT&T, but they said they could do anything about it without the previous phone number. And neither Apple or T-Mobile could do anything either.

So I'm thinking I have to to this:
    Order a new line to my AT&T account with a regular sized SIM. Then ask AT&T to connect the old iPhones IMEI number with the new line. Then after it's active, unlock it and then cancel the new line. But I can't help to think that there has to be an easier way…?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Couple things:

You don't need the phone on your account for the unlock request. It just needs to be an AT&T phone number.

Or just pay $2 for an unlock online. It's not really expensive ($2!!!) and it's very fast.

5. Calisurfer macrumors newbie

Should look around, I think the $2 unlock days are far behind us :(

6. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

yes. it's now $80-$120 to have it unlocked. those $2 days are nowhere to be found.

7. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

So does anyone have a link to someone who can unlock for a reasonable fee? $80-$120 is out of the question since it's just an old 3GS.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That sounds like the going rate but the most current information is in this thread.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I recommend you chat instead of calling AT&T, you ask for an unlock of the 3GS and they should give it to you, give your number.