Where Will You Buy the New iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Jul 23, 2012.

?

Where do you plan to buy the new iPhone?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2012.
  1. AppleStore.com

200 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Apple Brick & Mortar Store

49 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Wirelesss Carrier Store (AT&T, VZW, Sprint, etc.)

81 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Big Box Store (Wal-Mart, Target, BestBuy, etc.)

23 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Other Authorized 3rd Party Retailer

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Other (Explain below)

12 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. willmtaylor, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Just curious as to where most people who are thinking about getting the new iPhone are going to make their purchase.

Vote in the poll and then explain why on the thread to help others make more educated decisions.

Thanks,
    Will

2. iHelios macrumors member

I'm planning to pre-order on the apple store site.

Hang in there 3GS...

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Preordering an unsubsidized Verizon phone from the Apple store website. Picking one up from VZW and Apple Store was a PITA last year! Everywhere I go they were out of stock so this year I'm going to stay up and click preorder like my life depends on it.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I voted: Apple Store. I'm thinking this time around to get an unlocked iPhone 5 and go with a Virgin Mobile plan a subsidized the cost through their inexpensive plans. I really don't need Data and could wait 'till I get somewhere with wi-fi to access any data needed. I noticed VirginMobile only carries a 4 8GB or a 4S 16GB, so I suspect, they won't carry the 32GB or 64GB variation of the next iPhone.

5. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Me too. I have been waiting for 3 years now. It is time to change to something totally new.

6. fins831 macrumors 6502a

At apple store or apple online store...no reason to buy at ATT or Verizon, they charge useless upgrade fees to screw us even more.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I voted for other, as I have a dedicated Apple sales guru who I will contact near release date...IF they increase the screen size...If not I'm sticking with my 4S.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The online Apple store, assuming a few things first:
    1. I actually want the phone
    2. I am able to actually get online (I am told the site gets "slashdotted" that evening)
    3. (assuming the above two points are true) the phone's delivery date is launch date or sooner. Otherwise I will just stay in line. It might be kind of silly, but I like the Apple lines. Get to meet new people into the same geeky stuff I am.

----------

You will still be charged... it's just going to go on the following month's bill. It's a matter of when you want to pay... at the point of sale, or on your next billing statement.

----------

Assuming they carry the phone at all on or close to launch... I honestly don't know what I think about that.

----------

I'd be all for this. I am really, REALLY hoping these are fully unlocked for ALL GSM bands. I am currently on AT&T but will have to switch to Verizon at some point with the new year and would hate to have to purchase two phones. :(

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^^

This is a situation that I really hate. I'm planning on coming home to the States in the near future. The way carriers "Lock" your phones back home really does suck.

Here in the UK I buy the phone, sim free and chooses the carrier I want. If I don't like the service, or the coverage isn't up to scratch, I just take out the sim, and pop in another one.

The idea of having to choose my carrier on purchase day, and being stuck with them is not something that appeals to me one bit. It's also apparent from posts here that where you live defines which carrier is best...I guess I will just have to suck it up when I get back.

11. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I voted applestore.com because that's how I ordered my 3GS and it was on my doorstep (well, my wife brought it in) when I got home from work, no worries, no waiting, no messing around.

Although, I've always wanted to be a "part of the experience" of waiting in a line with all the other geeks at the Apple store. I just know that I would FREAK if they sold out before I got one!

And I also like the idea of Best Buy offering the $9 a month insurance. Very tempting. Though again, I don't want to be one of the unlucky ones that can't get off work in time to get the model I desire.

So, probably online pre order and kick back and wait. :rolleyes:

12. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

13. willmtaylor thread starter Suspended

willmtaylor

I think it would be helpful if we continued explaining why we voted what we did especially so newbies and other interested parties would benefit from our thought processes & reasoning.

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

Why is it better to buy it at apple online instead of at&t website?

15. Demonface macrumors 6502a

If I was to get it I'd get it from Applestore.com as I wouldn't have to deal with crowds of people and it would be at my door by the time I get up.

16. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

I'll be buying the generation after the next from Verizon when my two year 4s contract is up.

17. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Yea might be worth it to wait for the 5s.

18. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Well I personally won't pay more than contract price for an iPhone. I don't make a lot of money and value the money that I do make too much to ever get a new phone every year, especially one as sophisticated as an iPhone. Two years is perfect for me. I can understand why some people feel the need to get it every year. I guess I'm not very "tech competitive".

19. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

In the Uk new iPhones tend not to be released on pay as you go until approx 3-4 months after being released for contract customers.

So the choices for me are :

Wait until its released on my chosen network.

Buy straight from an Apple retail store.

Buy from a well known Uk high street shop that buys unwanted phones from joe public.

Upside is I get to monitor peoples updates and feedback on the good and the bad of the new handset. :D

Downside is I don't get my hands on the new toy for a period of time. :(

20. Slivortal macrumors 6502

While two years isn't exactly perfect for me, signing with contract saves you minimum $500 without even factoring the time and depreciation costs of resale. So although it isn't perfect, two years is what I'm on too (also with a 4S).

21. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I'm not too sure about this one but I think Apple's website will take pre-orders first and ensure faster delivery.

Plus I buy Applecare with my iPhone and so I like to make sure the products are registered together. After all, it's Apple that does the A/S.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That largely depends on what iPhone5 brings to the table.

23. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I will pre-order from the Apple Store on line.

24. formerpc, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

formerpc macrumors 6502

Seeing as how Apple doesn't sell the pre-paid carriers' versions in their stores, I'll be buying it direct from Cricket. This will be, of course, in February- when my contract with Verizon is up. I'm sick of their games and will be voting with my money to show them just how I feel.

That said, if Apple does begin selling direct the iPhone for the smaller/pre-paid carriers by February, then I'll buy it from a brick & mortar store.

25. Che Castro macrumors 603

How does this work if i order thru apple , they have my at&t info?