Where's the GPS data located in your Pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dizzy714, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Dizzy714 macrumors member

Are they tagged in the picture itself? Or in the PhotosAux.sqlite file in Media/PhotoData? I've always assumed the sqlite file, but I'm seeing pictures that I could almost swear wasn't taken back in the sqlite file that I have backed up. Every iPhone that updates, or phone replacement I get, I don't back my stuff up through iTunes, I drag my camera roll out manually and punch it back in after a fresh restore an then drop an older PhotosAux.sqlite file that I've had a while now just to keep the tags from some pictures that a few years old. But every picture taken after that old sqlite backup couldn't have the location tags on the pictures saved if that's where they're saved because all of my pictures on my phone seem to be tagged, all the ones taken inbetween the old sqlite backup and my last restore all have photo tags. Sorry for the long story. But yeah just trying to figure out if this PhotosAux file has anything to do with location tags or not. Personally I think it'd be super cool if it didn't have anything to do with it so that I don't have to bother with that file anymore and all my individual pictures are location tagged within themselves so when I transfer them over to that iPhone 5 they'll all be tagged.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is embedded within the actual picture file's EXIF data.

3. Dizzy714 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the answer. So absolutely nothing to do with the PhotosAux.sqlite file? Any idea what that file's purpose is?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Open it with a SQL database editor and take a look at its contents.