Which 24 inch Monitor should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cpt.N00B, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Cpt.N00B macrumors newbie

I want to get an external monitor display, preferably 24 inch, for my Macbook Pro 15 inch. My Macbook Pro is the top of the line model (mid 2009 ), with Vertex 2 SSD.

I want a monitor which:

- crisp HD quality display (24 inch)
    - excellent colour
    - VGA suppport (I already have the Mini-Display to VGA adaptor, don't want to buy new)
    - Run smoothly and compatible with my MBP
    - Below 250 USD (I know it's low, but it's all I have after spending so much on the SSD and other accessories)
    - Compatible with the 2011 generation model, because I might upgrade to it if I get Distinction in my IGCSE exams, which is very likely to happen :)

What is my best choice? Thanks in advance.;):D

2. Drew n macs macrumors member

3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Dell ultrasharp. 23 inch is 16:9 while 24 inch is 16:10. The price jumps quite a bit though when going with the 24 inch. I would save some money and go with the 23 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

What are you guys thought on the apple cinema displays?

5. SidBala macrumors 6502a

+1 on the Dell.

Dell makes some of the best consumer displays.

6. theyanman macrumors newbie

High quality, but way too overpriced. There are IPS displays out there that compete for a quarter of the price.

7. willieva macrumors 6502

It depends on what you want to do with the monitor. The place where a 24" monitor will shine is viewing photos, at least with the dell monitors. They're 16:10 at 24", 16:9 at 23". The extra height does make a difference when looking at photos. Otherwise they're both 1920 pixels wide.

I use a 24" dell with my mbp, and frankly I'd be just as happy with a 21" monitor. 24" is wider than most windows I have open, but not wide enough for 2 windows side by side.

8. daracne macrumors newbie

You might want to reconsider the VGA aspect, its was my experience on a Dell 24" that at 1920x1200 resolutions that VGA started causing very poor image quality. Screen colors would be off, occasional flickering... however that is all dependent on the quality of VGA cable you have most likely (which if you were going to buy a better one, why not just get the DVI adapter?).

9. layte macrumors regular

Dell Ultrasharp displays have display port (from what I can recall), so no need for VGA. I bought a £5 mini DP to DP cable to use my late 2009 MBP with my 30" Dell 3008WFP.

10. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

So if there are monitors that compete for a quarter the price, then are there much better monitors for close to the same price, and if so which would you recommend?

11. charliex5 macrumors regular

+1 for the Dell Ultrasharp. I recently got a U2311H and it is gorgeous. It doesn't have quite as high a refresh rate as some other monitors so its not optimum for games but photos and video look amazing. I have a HannsG set up with this one in a dual monitor set up and I can barely stand to use it side by side anymore.

Another downside is that it doesn't have an HDMI port but it isn't too big a deal, just depends what you're hoping to use it for.

12. hamean macrumors member

if you're looking for a great monitor experience, don't use VGA. The colors won't be uniform. I just got an HP ZR24w in last week; and it behave much like the old Matte ACDs. It's a great screen.

I don't like 16x9 which is the reason I chose this 24 over the new 27. 24 is a sweet spot for me. I don't think 1920 x 1080 is enough space for most heavy users. I haven't messed with the Dell IPS displays but I love this HP. It was around 430.00.

13. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

I think I am going to go with the 27" Dell UltraSharp. Thanks for the good advice guys.

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I agree with this 100%. I have two computers hooked up to the same display, one using VGA and the other using DVI, and you can definitely tell the difference between the two.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

How much is that? You could look at a refurb 24" ACD too.

16. The-Pro macrumors 65816

i have a 24" BenQ V2420 Series LED Monitor

i must say it is pretty good. i paid 176.30 € for it :) from amazon. definitely worth the price, its pretty stylish, although i like the design of a LG LED 24" display more, don't know what its called though. the BenQ is pretty darn thin, dont like how the cables connect horizontally though :(

id recommend it for the price anytime.

---> Also please opt for using DVI, using VGA just gives you this tad bit of unsharpness, it really bugs me :p <----

17. tmagman macrumors 6502

samsung 2443BW- best monitor on the market by far- hasn't required a refresh to catch up to newer monitors in 3 years now. great contrast and response time, 1920x1200 and incredibly narrow narrow and smooth bezels that great for multi-monitor setups. The stand for it is amazing (height adjustable, swivel, tilt, and rotate). i personally have a couple of them and most of my friends and family have bought them as well.

They're not part of samsung's consumer lineup but rather their commercial/professional products line. Nothing can compete with them