Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fulhamx5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
i ve MacBook Pro 16 1 tb.
i ve two problems with it. when I try to open it , it freezes.
i ve installed this apps. I think one or two of them may cause this. I m suspicious about Kaspersky internet security and adguard.
i formatted MacBook Pro. and installed everything again. and after 2 day it s same freezing.
I add the apps installed screenshot below

my second issue is about "Macintosh HD- Data" drive.

when I tried to format MacBook. it showed 2 hard disks. 1. Macintosh hd(as usual) . 2. Macintosh HD- Data.
I tried to delete Macintosh HD- Data ,but it didn't allowed.
now when I start MacBook Pro it asks for a password for Macintosh hd.
what do I have to do ? is it a new feature?

Attachments

• Ekran Resmi 2020-02-01 12.56.32.png
    Ekran Resmi 2020-02-01 12.56.32.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,830

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
don't mess with kasperky or antivirus nonsense. As you have found out, it causes more problems than it solves.
as for your disk, as of Catalina, your disk is partitioned in two where the system part is mounted read-only and the user part (data) is where your files and apps go. DO NOT try to delete them, just ignore and treat it as one disk (because it is).
the password thing is probably because you likely had FileVault on the previous system. Since you seem capable of handling a re-install, that's what I recommend. Set it up clean and don't install AV, ad guard, or bloody video converters. Look for reputable software on the apple store and stick with that.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Get rid of both those apps.... and to rid your self of any cruft they will have installed, you would be best advised to clean install... And the two drives are meant to be like that... leave well alone!

Reactions: barbu

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
i ve MacBook Pro 16 1 tb.
i ve two problems with it. when I try to open it , it freezes.
i ve installed this apps. I think one or two of them may cause this. I m suspicious about Kaspersky internet security and adguard.
i formatted MacBook Pro. and installed everything again. and after 2 day it s same freezing.
I add the apps installed screenshot below

my second issue is about "Macintosh HD- Data" drive.

when I tried to format MacBook. it showed 2 hard disks. 1. Macintosh hd(as usual) . 2. Macintosh HD- Data.
I tried to delete Macintosh HD- Data ,but it didn't allowed.
now when I start MacBook Pro it asks for a password for Macintosh hd.
what do I have to do ? is it a new feature?
Adguard is fine. I've been using it across Mojave and Catalina. That tool alone will help reduce potential malware from entering your system.

It's best to format once more, install the core trusted apps like MS Office, Evernote, Pocket and then slowly add the rest. Add 1 per day to see how it performs. Kaspersky might be the offender but nobody can say for sure until you test it.

The reason your'e getting prompted for a password on boot is likely because you've enabled FileVault or you selected APFS Encrypted when you formatted the disk. Hope that helps.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Adguard is fine. I've been using it across Mojave and Catalina. That tool alone will help reduce potential malware from entering your system.

No it will not. The only way for malware to "enter" your Mac is to download and install it. Anything else is security theatre. If the user sticks to the App Store, there is no need for other nonsense.

Tony_YYZ

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
No it will not. The only way for malware to "enter" your Mac is to download and install it. Anything else is security theatre. If the user sticks to the App Store, there is no need for other nonsense.
You misunderstand me.

Blocking the annoying ads and elements on webpages which can also potentially lead you to harmful sites/downloads. Also, Adguard is a Mac App Store app.

Reactions: barbu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.