Which Apple line is about to be repleced - new buyer needs advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by im333, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. im333 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #1
    Hi all,

    Prospective Mac buyer - been using Pc all my life :(

    Narrowed my choice down to: 2.4ghx macbook, but contemplating mbpro (mid range) purely because the 13.3" screen may not be big enough..I'm coming from an 18" PC TFT.

    Anyway, the store assistant told me tody that this model is about to be changed - I quizzed him, stating that the processors on the MB have only recently been upgraded...he wasn't sure which series was about to be replaced - stating the Mac rep had been in a week before.

    So, which Apple product line is for the chop? iMac maybe - or even MBP?

    P.S - about to go to New York for my elective (I'm a UK Med Student) so not sure if the HE discount here still works out better?

    Thanks,
    im333
     
  2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    #2
    You won't see a new MacBook or MacBook Pro for at least a couple of months. The iMac too was recently updated so won't be getting any treatment soon either. The only machine which may be updated soon is the Mac Pro, possibly next week. So buy now and be happy and buy from the HE store because you get a three year warranty included for free, whereas buying in the USA means you only get one year and you get a weird American keyboard with an odd shaped enter key and the wrong symbol above 3.
     
  3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #3
    The only "replacement" would be killing the Mac Mini for a more powerful Apple TV...

    MacBook Pros will get Montevina when it comes out, as will the MacBooks. This is the next anticipated update.
     
  4. im333 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #4
    Ahh...makes more sense than the useless chap in Comet's ideas!

    I wondered about the 3 year warranty - I'd probably pay £58-ish and get the 3 year applecare from here. Don't fancy the idea of a non-UK keybaord much either.

    So, not wort waiting for new release processors - they seem around the corner?
     
  5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #5
    If you are buying a MacBook then Montevina (the next chipset upgrade) will be worth the wait but this model may not get it until the fall. Buy AppleCare on eBay for a huge (40-50%) discount.
     
  6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    #6
    If you buy the computer from the HE store you don't need to pay anything for a warranty - you get three years included for free. I have no idea why Apple keeps selling AppleCare on the HE store but believe me - you don't need it.

    New processors are great when they come along but I believe we're at a point now where a new processor won't make that much difference. I've got a 2.2GHz MacBook and it does everything I need it to with ease, adding an extra 500MHz on that or so wouldn't really make any perceivable difference to me. What do you want to use the computer for?
     
  7. im333 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #7

    I'm planning on keeping the PC as a gaming machine - if and when I get the time. Keep seeming to come back to Battlefield 2, despite trying a plethora of newer games (Crysis, etc) and my GFX card can habdle most of the new ones well.

    So, the laptop will be for the usual student-type stuff (internet, MS office, etc) and some Photoshop apps for my new hobby DSLR photography.

    That's why I decided against the MBP and thought the 2.4ghz MB would suffice....the price difference is not justifiable in my mind and I would need an external monitor to game on the MBP anyway..
     

Share This Page