Which Apple Monitor to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by takemore, Mar 11, 2009.

1. takemore macrumors member

Finally I am shopping for monitor for my home desktop computer. I would prefer LED version but Apple has it only at 24" size. The 30" is not LED.
    I am wondering if LED version of 30" ACD is expected to arrive in some not so distant future? Or maybe someone can recommend good 30" LED monitor from other manufacturer?
    Thanks.

2. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I just bought Apple's 30 inch monitor and its just beautiful... I mean wow I am drooling. When I went to the apple store the employee did tell me they are in limited stock most likely due to an update coming soon. I still bought it because I hate the new glossy display. (kills my eyes)

Here's my monitor - Click Here

3. takemore thread starter macrumors member

Congrats with your new gadget. Monitor is really beautiful. Even your dog looks pleased :)
    Thanks for the tip about limited stock of 30" monitors at Apple now. I think I will hold a couple of weeks to see what Apple got to offer.

4. mik34 macrumors member

What's with the piece of bread? Congrats on the new monitor. I'll be waiting for the updated 30". I don't mind the gloss. My matte iMac has smudges that I can't clean off, the more I clean the more it looks bad.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Unless you have a newer Unibody MBP (the one in you sig is not) or something else with miniDP, then you can't use the 24" LED anyway, since it only has a mini DisplayPort connector, and no adapters are (or probably ever will be) available. And if they do the same with the updated 30" you won't be able to use it either.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Can't see why Apple won't make adapters for their monitors. They lose potential customers....

7. danny_w macrumors 601

If they ever do make one it will be expensive b/c going from dvi to miniDP requires active electronics, not just a simple cable from what I have read.

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Although they do seem to make the reverse don't they? i.e. MBP with Mini Display can be fitted to a DVI or VGA monitor with an adapter?

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, but those are provided in the standard and only require a simple cable. The reverse is not true from what I understand.

EDIT: You can think of DVI and VGA as subsets of DP. While DP can produce either of the other 2, the reverse is NOT true.

10. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Led

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a 30" LED, or at least not an affordable one. The only 30" LED that I have seen around is the Samsung XL30 which retails for $3500.

And when Apple does finally update the 30" Cinema, I hope that they don't go glossy since it is supposed to be a professional display.

11. takemore thread starter macrumors member

I forgot about the compatibility. Assumed that Apple products should "just work" with each other at least. Thanks for the info. I bought my MBP as self-given gift on Christmas in Dec 2006 and still love it. I thought I could use it a few more years before needing an upgrade. Now because of the monitor incompatibility need to think out of the box.. :)