Which apps to get to have more fun with the MBP-New owner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chrisw37, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Chrisw37 macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 MBP and converting the house over from a windows family to Mac. I am into very amateur photography with the family and nature shots for now, using a Sony A200. I also play the bagpipes and looking for a program like bagpipe writer. I will also be using the computer for my masters in public administration.

I was wondering what people are recommending for apps to make the computer even more enjoyable.

I currently downloaded these based on reviews:

Handbrake
    Mixxx
    iWork
    iLife
    Caffeine
    Angry Birds because I got addicted
    Just upgraded to a wireless printer

I am thinking of these:

Office for Mac
    Mplayer or VLC

Any other suggestions would be great.

2. T34418leONE macrumors member

Since you're coming from windows I recommend you do go ahead and purchase Office '11 for Mac just to make your studies much easier. I have office for Mac on my MBP and it's been pretty useful.

Only other thing I'd recommend is iStat Pro widget to keep an eye out on what your computer is doing.

VLC is also a good download. Been using that for years now, plays just about any file type you can throw at it!

3. DarkestWall macrumors newbie

VLC is the bomb, my favorite app ever. You can even watch "TV" on it.

If you don't want to put down the dough on Office you can give Openoffice a shot first. Sometimes I've needed the real Office specifically, but that was only for a specialized course. Otherwise it can work just fine for a lot of people.

4. darren.miller18 macrumors newbie