Which AT&T data plan do you have?

Jeephemi57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
First off, if this thread is already lurking around, link me to it.

I had unlimited data about 2 years ago, and the shmuck at the AT&T store told me i'm paying alot for data when i'm only using about 1gb. So he switched me to the 2GB plan.

Now my iPhone 4 was never a problem with data usage. Now with the iPhone 5 i'm almost scared to use safari/pandora. It uses so much data that i'm at 2gb in 12 days. I know that's not alot to some people, but when you send NO e-mails and are on safari for maybe 10 minutes a day, and play roughly 5 songs on pandora that's rough.

I've turned off LTE for the past week and the data keeps flowing. Does anyone anticipate an iOS update fixing this problem?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Going from unlimited to 2GB plan saved you a whopping $5 a month. I never had a problem with going over 2GB on my 3G or 4S, but saving $5 a month wasn't worth it thinking about future speeds and usage/needs.

To the usage, I don't see where people are using so much more data with the same habits. Mine hasn't changed, though I guess it has only been about a week since getting the 5, so I suppose that could change.

Jeephemi57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
He didn't switch you, you agreed to go to a 2GB plan. You have no one to blame but yourself.
Obviously. Not my point. I never knew i'd ever use more than what I have, therefore i agreed. I told background story to make more sense on the issue.

----------

Is there something i should be adjusting to reduce data usage?

kelpi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Wife and I still on the unlimited $30.00. Even still got the 450 FamilyTalk plan. Thank goodness they allowed us to carry over unlimited plan when I upgraded my wife to the 5 -- happy as clams. Now only if they offered a cheaper messaging plan. $30 bucks for a few texts is ludicrous.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
First off, if this thread is already lurking around, link me to it.

I had unlimited data about 2 years ago, and the shmuck at the AT&T store told me i'm paying alot for data when i'm only using about 1gb. So he switched me to the 2GB plan.

Now my iPhone 4 was never a problem with data usage. Now with the iPhone 5 i'm almost scared to use safari/pandora. It uses so much data that i'm at 2gb in 12 days. I know that's not alot to some people, but when you send NO e-mails and are on safari for maybe 10 minutes a day, and play roughly 5 songs on pandora that's rough.

I've turned off LTE for the past week and the data keeps flowing. Does anyone anticipate an iOS update fixing this problem?

Thanks in advance for any opinions
I feel for you my friend.

Don't let others get your down about it. Maybe you can switch? Or switch to tmobile?

Safari and pandora are the only things that use lots of data so not sure what else you could cut.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Obviously. Not my point. I never knew i'd ever use more than what I have, therefore i agreed. I told background story to make more sense on the issue.

----------

Is there something i should be adjusting to reduce data usage?
Yes, less pandora streaming or video streaming over carrier data.
There's no way you play 5 songs and do some safari browsing for 10 minutes and rack up over 2GB in 12 days.
There's something more you're forgetting to mention or those things you said above are way off from your real usage.
Also take responsibility for switching your data plan and dont blame it on the AT&T rep.
There is no update or ios fix to change your usage habits.
LTE doesnt use more data, people usage use more data.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Wife and I still on the unlimited $30.00. Even still got the 450 FamilyTalk plan. Thank goodness they allowed us to carry over unlimited plan when I upgraded my wife to the 5 -- happy as clams. Now only if they offered a cheaper messaging plan. $30 bucks for a few texts is ludicrous.
Still have my $30 unlimited data plan and $5, 200 text plan. AT&T isn't taking either one away from me.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There's no way you play 5 songs and do some safari browsing for 10 minutes and rack up over 2GB in 12 days.
There's something more you're forgetting to mention or those things you said above are way off from your real usage.
Also take responsibility for switching your data plan and dont blame it on the AT&T rep.
Agreed. Clearly the OP is doing more than what he is telling us.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Unlimited since 08 on original 3g. I intend to keep the unlimited for as long as i can. Att tried to move to tired numerous times and almost got me to do it once, i then came to my sense. There used to be loophole where you could switch to a 2g iphone and you could get back on unlimited when att phased them out.

Nokaoi

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Grantathered Unlimited data and happy. Satisfied? No. Why? AT&T does not allow FaceTime unless I switch to another plan. Oh well.

imeth

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
it's all about who you talk to when you call customer service... I love getting people from India or the Phillipines.. they will lower your bills, give you unlimited data under new account etc... :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Agreed. Clearly the OP is doing more than what he is telling us.
touche...people always making threads like this when there is no way that is all the usage they have. I used about 1gb with 3G and I use about 1gb with LTE

Jeephemi57

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Let me re-phrase this. Since my post wasn't very clear. Why would my new phone use more data then my old iPhone 4, while using less features (safari, pandora, etc). I used to stream pandora for about an hour a day, and watch probably 30 minutes worth of youtube on my 4 and had no issue. Usually not passing much over a gig a month.

So since some people are breaking my balls about my first post, if you know the answer, explain to me why the new phone uses more data based on what I just said. File sizes don't magically get bigger when your on a different network so I'm lost

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Let me re-phrase this. Since my post wasn't very clear. Why would my new phone use more data then my old iPhone 4, while using less features (safari, pandora, etc). I used to stream pandora for about an hour a day, and watch probably 30 minutes worth of youtube on my 4 and had no issue. Usually not passing much over a gig a month.

So since some people are breaking my balls about my first post, if you know the answer, explain to me why the new phone uses more data based on what I just said. File sizes don't magically get bigger when your on a different network so I'm lost
There is your issue. The youtube videos are being streamed in much higher quality.....meaning a lot more data. 30 minutes of HD is a lot more data than 30 minutes of crappy quality.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows

Here's what I know: I use my iphone5 about as much as you say you do and I'm not using nearly as much data.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Kelpi
A few months ago I called in and got the $3 for 100 text plan - its not advertised but got it nonetheless by asking nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.