Which brand of printers/scanners has the best reputation for long-term Mac support?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LisaInMunich, Feb 15, 2015.

1. LisaInMunich macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new laser printer/scanner multi-function device. Over the years we had to trash perfectly good machines just because the support for Mac OS wasn't there. This includes HP, which just stopped supporting our multi-function printer/scanner under Yosemite.

Questions: which manufacturer has the best track record for supporting the Mac?

Thanks for your opinion!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I've been using a Brother laser printer the last few years, and have never had a problem with drivers, etc.

3. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

I haven't had any issues with my Canon multi function printer. I've had it since my Kodak printer died several years ago. That said, Canon eats expensive printer cartridges like they were candy. I think it cleans the printer head every time it wakes to print. My guess is that 80 percent of my ink is wasted cleaning the printer head.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

5. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Using my second Brother printer -- no issues with either.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I tend to lean towards the HP 8600 models. I have 5 of the 8600 Plus models and 4 8620 models. All have been solid for years.
    The same can be said of the one Brother printer we have.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple just updated Canon to version 3.2 today but that is for All in One Canon PIXMA inkjet printer so I assumed Apple supports Canon Laser printer too? :apple:

9. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I've owned two Brothers and have had good luck on the Mac with both, so consider me another vote for them. Even for scanning, you don't need to use their software if you don't want to, but I actually like it better than Preview or whatnot for scanning (and it enables you to initiate the scan from the device rather than the computer), so I do use and find it unobtrusive enough.

I also own a Dell laser for color printing--I hope I don't regret that. :)

That being said, regardless of vendor support, you'll have better luck at least getting basic printing no matter what happens in the future if your printer has non-host-based support for a common language, like PostScript. Then, even if the vendor stops support, you should be able to find a generic driver that works. (I wish I could say the same for scanners, but the widely used TWAIN is an API that must be implemented at the driver level, so you're still at the hands of the vendor.)

10. carestudio macrumors 6502

if you are willing to try inkjet, I would suggest you take a look at Epson's AIO printer.