Which brand of RAM to upgrade on New late-2008 MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FriedPotatoes, Nov 17, 2008.

1. FriedPotatoes macrumors newbie

I am considering a MB (late-2008) high-end, 2.4. But it only has 2GB RAM and I'd like 4GB. I've read some horror stories with RAM upgrade to 4GB on late-2008 MBP. Has anyone found a place where I can order genuine apple DDR3 RAM that will ship to Canada?

I have found this website posted on the forum, but one has reported stability issues on the same thread even though it states on website that it is fully compatible with new macbooks.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea genuine Apple memory, just order it when you are buying it whether it's from the store or online. Or... you could try macsales.com for memory. Good place. Be sure to purchase DDR3 memory, it's more expensive, but 4Gb at such a low speed will be worse than 2GB at nearly 2x the speed.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

macsales probably has the best pricing for DDR3 memory right now...the only thing that sucks is that it costs more for the shipping to canada...comes out to be around 150, still about the same price that apple charges...so if you can, just get it from apple, might be easier for you, unless you want to keep that extra 2GB

4. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

I too am interested in Macsale's 4GB DDR3 kit. Where's this review saying it's "incompatible?"

Also, I won't need the 2GB of DDR3 that's in here now, and they have that rebate program. Although 2GB of DDR3 is not listed on their page as an option to "trade in," does anyone have an idea of what kind of prices they offer?

5. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Crucial memory has always been compatible for me. Not always the cheapest, but has ALWAYS worked. Never had an issue.

6. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Crucial is probably the best. and these days ram is actually pretty cheap.
    Or if you want to pick your own brand go to www.newegg.com they have good ram for cehap prices

7. jbrettz macrumors member

Crucial has worked flawlessly for me. I used them for my daughters macbook and just last week purchased a 2G for my wife's imac for $31.00. Plus they have a life time guarantee. Also, they have a scanner that will scan your mac and let you know exactly what kind of ram you use and any open slots. Reputation always trumps the cheapest for me.

brett

8. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Refer to THIS THREAD for reports of incompatibility with OWC ram. They will give you $30 for the pair of 1Gb sticks that comes stock with your unibody.

If you do decide to do the rebate from OWC, you have 60 days to send your original memory in to them. I'd suggest hanging onto your original pair for a few days while you have the new memory installed. The last thing you want is send in your original memory, only to discover OWC ram not playing well with your machine and being left without ANY memory while you wait for replacements.

9. falerus macrumors newbie

Further discussion of ram in the new macbook/pros [they use the same ram]: link

Here's my post in the thread regarding what I think is a good deal: link

10. joe01 macrumors member

joe01

But which brand of ddr 3 is apple useing the alim MacBooks & pros ?

11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Mine came with samsung ram. but i believe the 4gb mbs and mbps have hynix ram. i bought crucial ram from newegg $125 keep the old ram. if anything goes wrong with the computer and apple discovers 3rd party ram they blame the ram and stop looking for the real problem.

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

I bought some off Ebay from a decent rated power seller (advertises for Macbook even) say's Samsung chips.

(just Love them Cashbacks :)

Anyway, I've read bad news for all types (OWC, Newegg, etc.)

So i'm thinkin it's just the 'luck of the draw' basically.

BTW (this ram is *@%! ing expensive)

13. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I'm one of those unhappy OWC customers this time around. It is odd, because I have trusted their products for years. However, their RAM on these new MBs are just not compatible in many cases. There's something odd going on. Apple was kind enough to give me a free upgrade to 4GB of Apple RAM and exchanged my computer for a new one so they could do some research on my MB with 4GB of OWC RAM.

14. ogaramfa macrumors newbie

15. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I thought about ordering it from the US (I'm in Europe), but when I saw the prices here in Europe for 4GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM, I decided not to order from over the ocean. It only costs €80 here. Very, very reasonable.