Which combination is faster? Latest iMac 27” with fusion drive 3TB OR with SSD and ex

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yaarus, Mar 8, 2013.

1. yaarus macrumors newbie

What would you say.
    Which combination is faster? Latest iMac 27” with fusion drive 3TB OR with SSD and external LaCie d2 USB 3.0.
    I’d like to use iMac to work with photos. I expect to have enough on 3TB.

Thank you all

2. karpich1 macrumors regular

I'd imagine the 768GB SSD drive

The SSD would be where you install all of the apps, which would run quite nice. And at 768GB, I don't see any way you're filling that up with JUST apps.

Then put all of your movies (that you WATCH) and your music on the USB3 drive.

The only caveat would be: if you're doing a lot of video EDITING or CREATION then you'd probably want your source files for that video on the SSD drive until you were done.

That's what I do with my PC: apps (for speed) on the SSD, everything else on seperate HDD. Since once the iTunes-purchased movie is on the drive speed is no longer an issue (unless it's really really slow HDD)

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I am not familiar with the specific external you are proposing.

The full SSD version will be the fastest combination overall... assuming that you insist on booting from an internal drive. I do.

Your external is probably just fine for any streaming media (movies/music). For photos... I like the fastest drives possible. Your photo library probably also fits on the 768 GB SSD.

You always have options for the external... so you can always make that faster by getting a more powerful Thunderbold DAS.

I personally have the 768 GB SSD + 8TB Thunderbolt Pegasus R4. The combination is unbelievable.

/Jim

4. elev8d macrumors 6502

That's an expensive combo :eek: Luck you :)

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

yes... but on the grand scheme of things... not too bad considering how much I use my equipment.

BTW: There is also an ATD attached giving dual 27" displays. It is an absolute joy to use.

/Jim

6. yaarus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all.
    What I have found out is that non SSD part of the fusion drive is 5400pm.
    I think that would be an extra argument in favor of SSD in combination with external USB3 which is 7200pm for working with RAW file of photo's using Lightroom4
    Lacie I meant is this one
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10600

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The 21.5" iMac contains a 5400rpm 2.5" drive. You asked about a 27" iMac which does have 7200rpm 3.5" drives.

8. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Nice setup! I was going to go with the 3tb fusion, but when Apple dropped the price of the SSD drive it became a better option. And the external HD that I am getting is the exact same LaCie. I assume you are planning to use it with the thunderbolt port.

Now all I have to do is wait for the new iMacs to show up in the EPP store.