Which corporations today are particularly evil?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Abstract, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I want to know which corporations today are particularly evil. In the 1990s, Nike, Gap, Starbucks and maybe Walmart were the companies to hate. It was easy, and their "crimes" were well-known.

Today, have they changed? Are there new companies to dislike due to poor business ethics?

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

News Corp have, and are building, the potential to be evil, which is not to say that they are just yet.

Others will say the same thing about Google.

[/tinhat]

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

What about EA? I hear that the way the treat their programmers is pretty bad.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Apple, hands down :p The torture they have put me through the last 2 weeks waiting is unquantifiable. :D

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Evil Inc, are pretty evil. Even though they pretty much just own a factory that makes miniature models of factories.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I think Starbucks is actually very respectable company. True, they are a corporation out to make money, but they've been recognized for their efforts to use recycled products, fair trade, et al. And they treat their employees very well (stocks options, elder care and such)

Truly evil companies:
    - Walmart
    - ExxonMobile
    - Philip Morris

Other companies that are evil but not quite to same degree would be Microsoft, Disney, Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

7. iGav macrumors G3

And would Naomi Klein write about them with such enthusiasm if they have?

Indeed. I recommend folk buy Pour Your Heart Into It by Howard Schultz.

8. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

All the usual suspects;
    McDonalds
    Dell
    EDS
    Nestle
    Proctor&Gamble
    Unilever
    General Motors

9. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Have you ever had to phone the call centre? Brutal :p

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I don't really like the word "evil", but I would say that the companies that I would like to see go out of business are those who treat their employees, consumers, or the planet badly. Good examples would be BestBuy, Home Depot, McDonalds, J.R. Simplot, Boeing, Southern Co, KFC, etc.

11. Queso macrumors G4

In my opinion all of the arms companies are evil, tobacco companies are mostly evil and any pharmaceutical that only cares about protecting old patents whilst people are dying through lack of their product is not only evil but totally repulsive.

Oh, and Symantec. I REALLY hate Symantec!! :mad:

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

13. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Their "effort" to use Fair Trade coffee is a farce.

"Next!"

ExxonMobile? Yeah, probably. All the oil companies are. Not sure if I'd say Philip Morris, Microsoft, Disney, Coca-Cola, and Pepsi are. Selling a product that's bad or unhealthy for you isn't a crime.

In the early 2000s, or do you mean she has written about them again recently?

I believe companies can change if the public outcry is loud enough, so maybe her book isn't supposed to be up-to-date, but is true at the time of writing.

None of those make the list, except maybe Nestle. Is there something I don't know about the rest of them?

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I didn't like that movie.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In regards to Unilever yes there are some legitimate complaints however if you check out the Covalence EthicalQuote scoring scheme you will notice that in 2005 they were placed 4th, 2006 1st, 2007 1st and from the latest report are top again. The Chief Executive was awarded the Botwinick Prize in 2007. I'd be interested into what made you put Unilever in that list.

Shell
    Monsanto
    Nestle (have a bad rep for that whole baby milk thing)

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Companies don't get to be big without sacrificing some ethics or treating employees as assets instead of commodities.

One my my most loathed is Praxair who was born out of Union Carbide (remember them?) They put on a new face because of 22,000 dead Indians and 100's of thousands still suffering to this day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmtN8NkMcmo

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Any, and every, cigarette company that has increased the nicotine content of their cigs in the last 10 years, while saying otherwise.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

We had to study that disaster and I still can't believe that they essentially got off scot free for complete and utter fatal corporate negligence.

It is totally unforgivable what they did in Bhopal.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I disagree. Cigarettes are there for people who are stupid enough to use them. They're quite addictive even without boosted nicotine.

Cigarette manufacturers pre-expose were very evil. Now, it's a choice.

Time forgets for most but it is deplorable. Praxair is still doing business today. The site has subsequently been sold to Dow which has taken blame but had nothing to do with original disaster.

Oh, and the thread about media's 600 Americans = to 1 non, that would make this disaster equal to 13,200,000 dead Americans at that "exchange rate."

21. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Wow I'm surprised at the lack of creativity here... come on people! There are tons of evil corporations.

• Monsanto
    • Royal Dutch Shell
    • Enron (okay... no longer exists, but for a while very evil.)
    • News Corp

Plus there are entire industries that are just stacked with evil corporations: health care, pharma, farming, health insurance, etc...

22. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Walmart
    Oil companies
    American television
    most, if not all, Governments.

23. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Tobacco-industry. We are talking about companies that, when smoking is going down in developed countries, have started to target children (among others) in the developing countries. That is just pure evil.

Besides those, there are some individual companies worth a mention:

Monsanto
    Blackwater
    Halliburton

24. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Whoo! Two Dutch companies made it to the list. I'm so proud... :p

--Erwin

25. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Monsanto? They're a pretty small player these days. There are multitudes worse.

I've been in Chemical business for 24 years and remember when they were a big dog. Not anymore.