Which credit monitoring company should I choose?

Bill Av

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I'd like to sign up with a credit monitoring site, but don't know which way to go. I had used Equifax before and now don't know who to trust.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Don't know what to tell you. Anyone but Equifax? I had a credit freeze with all 3 of them for the last 3 years due to the Anthem breach and lifted it completely last week. It was a pain to deal with. But, if you're just going to use them as a credit monitoring service any of them will do. They are all pretty easy to deal with.

trusso

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2003
None of them.

The credit ratings agencies have your information whether you like it or not. But they are not credit "monitoring" companies. If they are offering credit monitoring services, read the fine print: it's probably contracted through some third party. Either way, credit monitoring services are just an additional chink in the armor, one more company that has your personal data. Don't give it to them.

It's snake oil, pure and simple.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I'd like to sign up with a credit monitoring site, but don't know which way to go. I had used Equifax before and now don't know who to trust.
Are you only in the market for credit monitoring? I would think using a reliable identity theft monitoring service which also provides monitoring your credit and personal information would be better. Have you considered that?

Bill Av

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Are you only in the market for credit monitoring? I would think using a reliable identity theft monitoring service which also provides monitoring your credit and personal information would be better. Have you considered that?
Yes, an ID theft monitoring service would be good. I looked into LifeLock, but I had read some negative things at the time. I've used two other companies (their services were free, due to breaches that affected me), but I felt that they were lacking.
[doublepost=1542155735][/doublepost]
None of them.

The credit ratings agencies have your information whether you like it or not. But they are not credit "monitoring" companies. If they are offering credit monitoring services, read the fine print: it's probably contracted through some third party. Either way, credit monitoring services are just an additional chink in the armor, one more company that has your personal data. Don't give it to them.

It's snake oil, pure and simple.
That was my fear. I've been using the "Annual Credit Report" site to check on things, but you're capped at three reports a year (one from each of the companies). I'd like to be a bit more proactive. But it seems like the only way to cover all three credit reporting agencies it to go to a third party.