Which discount operator / MVNO for iPhone in the US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nofu, Jul 16, 2012.

1. nofu macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm moving from Europe to the US (SF Bay Area) in 2 weeks and I'm wondering which operator I should choose. I already have an unlocked iPhone 4 (GSM), thus I don't need to get into one of these expensive AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile, etc. contracts.

I came across MVNOs like Straight Talk or Simple Mobile, who operate on the AT&T or T-Mobile network. They all offer similar packages: approx. $40 for unlimited talk/text/data. Are they any good? Service-wise, etc.? Are there any traps (e.g. speed reduction after x MB of data)? Who's got the best offering (I'm looking for min. of 200min and 1gb data)?

Thanks!

cheers,
    nofu

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i know a lot of people on these forums switched to straight talk, and they seem to really be enjoying them.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Straight talk is a good deal but you're limited to ~ 2GB of data and apparently you can't use certain apps like video streaming or they get mad.

AT&T is more pricey but you can do whatever you want with your data, and you get 3-5 GB depending on the plan. You can sign up without a contract, it's the same price.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You should always choose based on coverage first. Try checking in with those in the Bay Area -- in specific areas that you will frequent (the Bay Area is a large region).

5. kalex macrumors 65816

I use straight talk with ATT based sim card. Everything works fine as long as u don't abuse it. Straight talk has some sort of soft cap enabled and its most likely corresponds to ATT 3gb limit. If you reach it they might send u text message. If you get text message then u need to not push your luck or they will cut u off. I'm not a heavy data user as i have wifi coverage so for me its fine and can't beat $45 a month for everything

6. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Another option would be red pocket, my friend is using it with an iphone 3gs and it seems to work well.

7. RNVarma macrumors regular

I had switched from tmobile to Straight Talk a month ago, and I've had zero problems. You can do video streaming; just take care to stay below 2GB / billing cycle.

I wonder, too, if ST will implement the 3G FaceTime charge that AT&T is rumored to do when iOS 6 is released. My gut says “no”, since ST is a pre-paid service.