which external battery will power the phone THEN use the internal phone battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by danpass, Oct 26, 2011.

1. danpass, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I don't remember which one will allow the phone to use up the external battery charge THEN switch to internal.

What I'm seeing is that the external will only be used when you click it on manually (after the internal runs out).

I'm sure there was at least one external battery that would 'charge' the internal battery until the external got exhausted, then shuts itself off making the phone think it has been disconnected from power (thereby it would continue as usual on its internal power).

Thanks.

2. voltes macrumors member

3. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

ok, thanks.

All of their models? The Juice Pack Air, etc?

4. voltes macrumors member

5. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

It all depends on how you use it. I had a mophie on my 3G and just left the switch on at all times. By doing so it constantly kept my phone battery at 100% until the case was dead.

I'm sure that, long term, this is probably not good for the battery, but since I replace my phone every 18 months or so I wasn't terribly worried about longevity.

6. kalt macrumors regular

Don't they all do that? The phone thinks it's plugged in and uses the power from the external source (battery) until it's used up and no longer there, in which case the phone thinks it was unplugged and automatically starts to use the battery power. Why would any battery work differently? I suppose if a battery didn't have enough power ... but presumably every battery pack sold for the iphone does have enough... they are usually 1400 to 2000... about the same power or more than the phone itself. And why would you want it to work any differently? Makes sense to want it to use up the external battery first and then start using the phone's battery. Why would you plug a awkward, heavy, lunky external battery into the phone if you wanted it to only use the internal phone battery? Makes no sense.

7. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Depends on who you listen to. Your phone battery supposedly has a limited number of cycles...and reportedly leaving it plugged in all day is bad for the battery (personally, I have mine plugged in all day at my desk and have never noticed a problem). So by keeping the juicepack on all day you are, in theory, shortening the life of your phone battery.

The way a lot of folks use these things is charge em up and leave em off - then when their phone battery gets low, use the case to charge up the phone. Personally I found that to be unwieldy and silly, but that's just me. I used it in the same manner you describe above.

8. kalt macrumors regular

I too find that ridiculous and pointless. I leave my phone - every iphone I've ever had - charging in the dock when I"m not using it and I've never had a problem. Well, I had my 3GS for almost 3 years and over the last 2 months the battery wasn't holding a charge very well, but that's to be expected after such a long life (I never upgraded to the 4 b/c it wasn't available in white until recently, a few months away from the release of the new iphone). Surely that had nothing to do with being in the charger. The crazy theories people come up with as to how to use/not use rechargeable lithium batteries never cease to amaze and amuse me. The best way to make a lithium battery last long is to cover it in human blood from a menstruating virgin and store it in the freezer while chanting pink floyd lyrics....

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

ive had a mophie for a year that I used on my 4 and switched over to my 4s. It can be used that way but they dont recommend you use it like that. when I first got it I did alot of reading and tests. to get the most bang out of the case I let the phone run down to around 20% and then turn it on. leaving the case on all the time keeping the phone in a constant state of charge isnt good for the phone battery or the mophie. plus the battery pack will die quicker this way.