Which FCP Video Filters Should I Use to Improve 80's Footage?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lokibrehm, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lokibrehm macrumors newbie

Hey yall,
    So I'm putting a DVD together for my company, and we are using 80's concert footage from various sources. As you all know 80's video tends to be rather sheisty and faded, or too saturated. In you guyses experience, what combination of Final Cut Pro video filters proves to look the less outdated and cleanest? I want it to look as non-80's as possible in terms of color and video quality. I also don't want to buy any programs or filters off the internets.
    so, upload some bad 80's video and crack on guys! I'll be working on it aswell.
    cheers,
    Loki
    PS: if there are any free filters or programs I'm intersted:cool:

Attached Files:

2. lokibrehm thread starter macrumors newbie

lol

the 80's rocked....hahaha they got away with so much lol:)

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Assuming that if you're working with analog footage as a source, the absolute best thing you can do to improve quality and stabilize the video signal is to run the analog signal through a full-frame TBC when digitizing.

Once you have it in digital format and in your FCP project, use the 3-Way Color Corrector to enhance the contrast and control the saturation level. You can add multiple instances of the same 3WCC filter to a clip and use the Limit Effect feature on the second instance to isolate and reduce the saturation of certain hues.

If you didn't use a TBC, you may also need to use a Y/C Delay filter to re-align the chroma. If there is noticeable signal noise, use one of the noise filters to help reduce that.

-DH

4. lokibrehm thread starter macrumors newbie