Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
I am excited about the new powermacs, but I keep reading that the new powermacs have 7455 G4's in them and not the 7470's. I understand that the 7455's *DO NOT* support DDR-ram and the 7470's *DO* support DDR-ram. So, what is the point of putting DDR-ram in a computer if the processor doesn't support it? so will the DDR-ram be running "half-legged" or at half the speed? If the system bus is 167mHz, DDR-ram should operate at 333. but if the processor doesn't support it, does it run at 167mhz? if this is the case, then the inclusion of DDR-ram is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy their machines...

any input on this would be awesome!

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
in a way i thin k youre right, we bitched about wanting DDR and we got it baby!!!!! except apple can't fool us

personally i'm very disapointed

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
well then you get dedicated 1.3gb/sec of memory bandwith to the processors, the other 1.3gb/sec can go to AGP video card/PCI cards/ USB/ FireWire/ HardDrive loading/whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.