Which Group Best Suits Your Views on Government?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Nov 5, 2010.

?

Which group best suits your position?

1. Keep it Small

22.2%
  2. Morality First

2.8%
  3. The Mushy Middle

8.3%
  4. Obama Liberals

13.9%
  5. The Bigger the Better

5.6%
  6. More Extreme (either to L or R)

2.8%
  7. "Don't put me in a box!"

44.4%
  1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

From a piece on the Role of Government by USA Today. Which group are you in?

• Keep it small: This cohesive group wants government to stay away from regulating the free market or morality. They trust private enterprise over public institutions and overwhelmingly oppose Obama and the Democratic Party. Many support the Tea Party movement.

They are the wealthiest, the most conservative and the most predominantly white and male of any of the groups.

• Morality first: This group also is decidedly Republican, and they don't endorse a large federal role in addressing income disparities. But they are solidly in favor of the federal government acting to uphold moral standards and promote traditional values.

A Republican governing coalition that includes both the first and second groups could risk fracture when the issues turned from a more limited government on the economic front to questions such as whether to oppose same-sex marriage or restrict abortion.

• The mushy middle: This pragmatic group avoids the extremes. Those in this category split more evenly on attitudes toward the GOP, the Democratic Party and Obama than others.

Ninety-five percent of them end up somewhere in the middle when asked to place themselves on a five-point scale on the proper role of government — "1" meaning the government should provide only the most basic functions and "5" meaning the government should take active steps in every area it could.

• Obama liberals: This group wants the government to take a big role in addressing economic disparities but a small one in upholding moral standards. It is the most suspicious of business: Six in 10 say business will harm society unless regulated by the government.

They are the youngest group and the group with the highest percentage of liberals, Democrats and Obama supporters.

• The bigger the better: The members of this group are the most likely of any to trust government and to endorse its involvement in areas from upholding morality to addressing income inequality.

This group is the most racially and ethnically diverse of any — 45% of its members are Hispanic, African-American or another racial minority — and has the lowest income levels.

In their ranks, nine in 10 think the government should take a major role in ensuring adequate health care and a minimum standard of living for all Americans.

2. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I didn't see that as an option.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

5. Rt&Dzine, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Where are kavika and mattsepeta crying out about mentioning the racial makeup of these voters? :p

Where are kavika and mattsepeta crying out about mentioning the age of these voters? :p

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Where is the "This is the most biased and stupid thread ever, even worse than a Waloshin thread" group?

BTW- none of the above. If you want to find out where people stand, stop insulting us. But you don't really want to know where people stand, you want to point fingers and place blame.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Hey now, Waloshin threads aren't terrible; they're entertaining.

9. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

:rolleyes: OMG.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're right. I just majorly insulted Waloshin. Sorry, Wally.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Oh, you mean the fact that you've decided to categorize and generalize everyone's views, should they choose an option in your poll, and describe who and how they are by those categories (those are your descriptions below it), when you don't know a single thing about the people you are intending to categorize? So yes.. it is biased. It is biased to YOUR descriptions and stereotypes of who we are. I haven't taken that from anyone based on a racial or any other background, and I won't take that from you either.

I may fit one or even more than one than those generic ones you mention. I may not fit any of them at all. My views and thoughts are mine, and I refused to be pigeonholed by your poll. Instead I'll add another option.

I fall under ME.. Don't like it? too bad.

BL.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo- very well said, Brad. Don't expect fivepoint to understand a word of it. He can only see black and white. The fact that he doesn't know why this thread is ridiculous speaks volumes.

13. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Hey,

It's not my fault you apparently FAILED miserably to realize that it wasn't my list, and it came directly from the USA Today article which I linked in the OP.

It's not my fault you apparently FAILED to realize that I left an option specifically for people like you called "don't put me into a box" and an even less involved option called "don't participate in the thread".

It's not my fault you apparently FAILED miserably to realize the question was which group 'best' suits you, not which group completley and wholly defines you as a person.

You've got some serious reading comprehension problems, bradl. Or maybe you do it on purpose? Naw... :p :rolleyes: :D

14. Raid, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Now that sounds more like a person who appreciates their liberty, rather than being a "Libertarian".

I'm really quite disappointed with American politics, and quite frankly I'm disappointed in all sides. Libertarians want an unidentified, parameterless "small government" and feel that capitalist corporations will either get all warm and fuzzy about taking care of the public over profits, or think that people will actually have the market power to change capitalist behaviour. Republicans are really good at fear mongering and appearing to be the moral centre but seem all to willing to restrict the liberties of individuals and play classic pork-barrel politics. The democrats can't tow a single party line to save themselves, they take a good idea, then throw it in the blender of greed and avarice that is the American political opinion to try to please everyone; the result is half-baked policy and direction no one likes.

In short, I'm none of the above, but then again I don't vote in your country... I do have a bit of advice though from my financial planning 101 classes. Cut your spending, budget wisely on what you need and pay yourself (increase taxes).

Man do you even realize that expressing yourself in such a manner is part of the problem? That trying to fit everything in a box, or a label or an "ism" is part of the problem?

15. fivepoint, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010

fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

What, specifically, in the OP could remotely be considered offensive? How did I incorrectly express myself in the OP to deserve the attacks? The truth is that by attacking someone, they aim to put them on the defensive so they can ignore the substance of the debate. It's the same tactic they use when they claim someone is a racist, or hates poor people. As long as they can get people on the defensive, they think they win. It's all out in the open for everyone here to see. The OP was straight forward, rational, gave all of the necessary options, suggested certain groups might 'best' fit their views, but not 'completely define them'. They'll continue to manufacture things to complain about so they can avoid having real debates with people that have differing worldviews than their own. It's also possible that they're so uncomfortable in their own shoes, so uncomfortable with their own positions, they'll do whatever it takes to avoid having to defend them. If they can make up some sort of problem with the question, they can avoid the hard questions all together. It's a defense mechanism, nothing more. Sad that it's so transparent to most people here.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

17. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Excuse me?

I find these broad generalizations just as useless as you do. I also find it totally useless and counterproductive to bring race into anything, period.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Morality ≠ traditional values or even republican values for that matter.

Morality isn't a thing that any one group can claim to have a monopoly, be it a religion an individual or a political party.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

You can deny or ignore it all you want but facts are facts. Young voters were a major force in Obama's win. Old voters were a major force in the recent GOP wins.

20. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I dont recall denying or ignoring anything... I am well aware that young voters came out in droves to vote for obama (myself included.) I am also aware that an incredibly disproportionate amount of blacks voted for obama. I am also aware that old voters typically vote republican.

So whats your point? :confused:

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Short memory? :rolleyes:

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Questions for op

I'm always a little confused when people say Republicans are for small government but are the party fighting to keep up America's morals and the Dems want bigger government/more control but don't care about our morals. (I'm simplifying but you get the point, I bet). So.... first of all, who ever said that Dems don't have morals or want to makes sure America keeps its morals/values. Don't they just have different morals? And how can Repubs say they are for small government but have no problem with passing or wanting to pass federal laws to control people's morals/values? No abortion rights, defense of marriage (no gays), etc. If you really hate big government and its control, shouldn't the first thing the government get out of is how we live our lives?

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

welcome to the obscene hypocrisy that is our two major parties.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm not the one who took offence, but I did find the poll was positioned with bias. Also, you did not express yourself at all in the OP; you merely regurgitated something you read on another site and gave the PRSI this morsel of information as bait.

The poll seems to be an attack on peoples opinions by typecasting or stereotyping a particular group. One can hardly call the Republicans "moral" (or more or less so than the rest of the populus), the moderate "mushy", the keep it small group "cohesive", and the bigger the better group (in a word) poor. The poll itself has little to no substance or meaning, it's does not open a debate to help improve America's political or economic situation, nor discuss any issues at hand. Instead it seems more aimed at dividing a group along glib 'bullet point' ideologies and using offensively obtuse terms to describe the people who might belong to that group. How is that remotely constructive?

I would agree, but then again there is no question here is there other than, what side would you pick? Not much of a debate, just another diversion on the path to progress.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- which is why most of us here gave fivepoint the middle finger. The poll is not asking people to identify themselves, it's deliberately biased and insulting. It's designed to piss people off, nothing more.