Which HD is better the Guardian MAXimus or the Mercury Elite-AL Pro 800 RAID

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fcbr10, Nov 8, 2007.

1. fcbr10 macrumors newbie

Which HD is better the Guardian MAXimus or the Mercury Elite-AL Pro 800 RAID?

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I have the OWC enclosure: Link I installed two 500GB Seagate HD's and it a great setup.

I love mine but I don't know much about the Guardian MAXimus.

Nuc

3. danny_w macrumors 601

The 2 enclosures are aimed at very different markets. The Guardian Maximus offers RAID-1 (mirrored) mode where one disk is mirrored onto another disk for data redundancy; the usable drive capacity is 1/2 of the total capacity, b/c 1/2 of the space is used up for data protection. The OWC enclosure offers only RAID-0 (striped - offers better performance) and spanning modes of operation, but no redundancy or data protection.

4. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I have the Guardian Maximus and it works pretty much as advertised. Plug it in and as far as your computer knows its just a normal external drive. Not sure about the Mercury, but the GM has USB, FW400 and FW800, though speed will be more reliant on the hard drives than the cable. I just like not having to use up one of my USB ports and actually have something use the FW800 port.

However, like stated above, its a difference between performance and protection with the OWC. I use mine as my Time Machine backup and storage for stuff I don't need on my laptop drive, so speed doesn't really have a huge impact. However, if its a drive that you'll be reading and writing to, speed might be more important.

5. routerreview07 macrumors newbie

6. GregE macrumors 6502

I was interested in the Drobo but I think firewire would be better for me. I plan to use it for Time Machine and also to store videos I took of the kids while I am editing them. Looks like the Guardian Maximus might be the better EHD for me. Anybody else concur?

7. danny_w macrumors 601

The Drobo is a great idea from many perspectives, both data protection and ease of growing storage space. However, the performance is not very good, it uses USB only (at least for now), and it is quite expensive. I was looking at one myself but also think the Guardian MAXimus may be a better match for what I need.

8. GregE macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of getting the Guardian MAXimus to use now and wait until the Drobo comes out with Firewire. I figure I can always use both of them down the road. Maybe one for Time Machine and one for video, music and pictures.

If I put my music on a Guardian MAXimus now and iTunes knows where they are, is it easy to move them to another EHD?

9. cobravap macrumors regular

Anyone who has a Guardian Maximus know if the Guardian Maximus is capable of doing Raid 0 or Independent Volumes via changing jumpers like the Mercury changes from Raid 0 to independent volumes?

Thanks

10. FanOfMac macrumors newbie

Guardian MAXimus

I initially struggled with this very decision, deciding on the Guardian MAXimus enclosure kit and couldn't be happier. I added two Seagate Barracuda 1 TB SATA drives. They run quiet and cool. The overall look is sleek, solid and secure. I would recommend this to anyone looking to protect their data with a quality, hassle free solution.

By the way, according the directions, this drive is RAID 1 only (non-configurable). If you want RAID 0, OWC has several great options.

11. igonzalez macrumors newbie

Neither one, go with the oyendigital.com solution

I bought a Guardian Maximus (1TB x 2) from Other World Computing, it shakes like an old washing machine, the fan is very loud and never slows down. Even it is a RAID solution you need to remove screws if you need to change a drive and the screws are covered with stickers on top that tell you that the warranty will be void if you remove them. The drive could not be dismounted under leopard. Did not keep it for more than 24 hours and still got charged 15% restocking fee, no a god way to earn customers loyalty. (lost $106, $20 shipping x 2 + $66 in re-stocking fees)

I replaced it with a case from oyendigital.com ($114) and bought 2 x 1.5TB seagates 7200 rpm for $130 each. No shaking or rumbling, the fan is whisper quiet, the sata drives are so easy to install. Great solution, kudos to Oyen Digital. Thumbs down to OWC (macsales.com).

12. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

That enclosure looks good! Seems trivial to install the hard drives, and setting the RAID mode via a switch is a big plus, compared to the jumper hassle you have with the OWC enclosure. I love my OWC Mercury Elite-AL, but this Oyen Digital case might have been my choice, had I known it existed. Aesthetically I find it less pleasing than the OWC enclosure, but looks aren't everything.

13. Fat Fatster macrumors newbie

The Mercury IS NOT recommended for RAID1.

http://www.macupgrade.be/product_info.php/cPath/3_110/products_id/303

"RAID 1 - Available, but not recommended as if either drive fails, no indication of this status is given and data is not written to remaining drive until solution is powered off and on again. For maximum RAID 1 performance and reliability, we strongly recommend the NewerTech Guardian MAXimus."

The Mercury is really ONLY for RAID0 operations.

Reminder: RAID0 is striping for increased speed. RAID1 is a mirroring system for security of your data.

(RAID0 is very dangerous: you are twice as likely to lose ALL your data. It is only used in unusual extreme performance situations. Never ever use RAID0 for backup, etc. Read about it at wikipedia.)

It would be absolute madness to use the Mercury box for RAID1, unless the specs have recently changed.

14. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

That's good advice for sure. I do use the Mercury Elite AL enclosure, although not in RAID mode. I use it set to JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). One drive is used for backing up, the other is used for external storage. Very nice and space saving.